Saturday, August 29, 2020

Week 35 Reviews: A Sanctuary of Spirits

From Goodreads:
As the twentieth century approaches, New York's Ghost Precinct crosses a threshold into the land of the dead in this paranormal gaslamp mystery.

New York City, 1899. The NYPD's Ghost Precinct, an all-female team of psychics and spiritualists led by gifted young medium Eve Whitby, is unconventional to say the least. And now they're stepping even further outside the bounds of normal police work--into an otherworldly realm known as the Ghost Sanctuary. It's a place where the dead can provide answers. But will Eve and her colleagues pay a price for venturing beyond the land of the living?

Investigating a mortician's sudden disappearance, Eve encounters a charismatic magician and mesmerist whose abilities are unlike any she's seen before. Is he connected to the mysterious deaths around the city--or a link to the Ghost Sanctuary? Torn between the bonds of her team and her growing relationship with the dashing Detective Horowitz, Eve must discern truth from illusion and friend from foe before another soul vanishes into the ether.

My Review:
This book was another fantastic read in this series! I enjoyed spending more time with these characters, getting deeper into the mystery with the Undertaker and the Prenze family. Plus there's the Sanctuary of Spirits, which I enjoyed learning about!

I learned in time time that I was reading this book, that there's another series connected to this world, the Eterna Files, which I haven't read. So I'm probably going to be reading those two series soon, though I'm not sure if it'll be before or after reading A Summoning of Souls. But this fact, now it makes sense, the comments Natalie made of Jonathon being dragged into the supernatural business when Eve was a child!

There were two parts of this book. The main part was the investigation into the undertaker, the one who had the pack of ghost kids clamoring for attention. I didn't expect it to go where it did, that was pretty horrific! And the minor part was Eve's relationship with Detective Horowitz, which was pretty full of misunderstandings. Really enjoyed how it worked out!

That ending though! We knew some of it, that the one brother was still alive. But I didn't expect how it would play out, and while I'm not quite sure of how it worked out, well, I can't wait to find out, and have this bad guy taken down!

Loved this book, and I'm so excited to see how it all ends in the final book!

Author: Leanna Renee Hieber
Series: Spectral City #2
Read: August 25th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Love her writing, and they're Historical Fiction 2020 Book and Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Rebel Base Books
Published: November 12th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!