Saturday, August 22, 2020

Week 34 Review: You Look Different in Real Life

From Goodreads:
Readers of John Green, Sarah Dessen, and Laurie Halse Anderson will be touched by the emotional depth and realistic characters of Jennifer Castle's teen novel You Look Different in Real Life.

Justine charmed the nation in a documentary film featuring five kindergartners. Five years later, her edgy sense of humor made her the star of a second movie that caught up with the lives of the same five kids. Now Justine is sixteen, and another sequel is in the works. Justine isn't ready to have viewers examining her life again. She feels like a disappointment, not at all like the girl everyone fell in love with in the first two movies. But, ready or not, she and the other four teens will soon be in front of the cameras again.

Smart, fresh, and funny, You Look Different in Real Life is an affecting novel about life in an age where the lines between what's personal and what's public aren't always clear.

My Review:
Man, I really enjoyed reading this book! I twas just a fun ride of a book, dealing with a group of kids who were periodically filmed for a documentary about them in various points of their lives. And I really enjoyed it!

The relationships between these characters was just so interesting. I mean, they were filmed twice now, but they weren't all friends. And some of the relationships had really gone badly, like Justine and Rory, and Felix and Nate. Though yeah that Justine and Felix had developed a friendship between 11 and 16!

I really enjoyed these characters on a road trip. It was just them, part of the time, and that gave them a lot of time to deal with their issues with each other, and that combined with the quiet moments made for really compelling reading!

That ending! It was so perfect to read, because this whole book, Justine has been worried that she was boring. That she peaked at age 11. And while this book has a lot going on for the other kids, Justine finds a talent that really suits her, and she got a pretty satisfying ending! I was so happy for her!

This book was a really great, fun read, and I had a great time reading it!

Author: Jennifer Castle
Read: August 16th, 2020
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a LLFL Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: June 4th 2013
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!