Saturday, October 3, 2020

Week 40 Review: The First True Thing

From Goodreads:
In the two weeks since her drunken bike accident, Marcelle has been forced to look deeply at her own life. She's clean and sober now, attending a tough-love version of after-school rehab, and barely hanging out with her user friends. Then one night she gets a mysterious text from her best friend, Hannah, asking Marcelle to cover for her.

It's a small, simple lie. But Marcelle learned in group therapy not to enable her drug-using friends. One lie could lead Marcelle back to a dark, dangerous place. But it's Hannah: beautiful, messed-up, in-deeper-than-anyone-knows Hannah. So Marcelle gives in.

The next morning, Hannah is missing. Marcelle was the last one to hear from her . . . and now she's lying to everyone—her parents, Hannah's mom, and Hannah's troubled boyfriend. How long can Marcelle go on before she admits to herself what she has to do? If she comes clean about what she knows, can she save Hannah?

My Review:
I enjoyed reading this book. I can see why it had a lot rating on Goodreads, but I enjoyed the story, and I'm glad that I read it. There was a lot going on, but I loved the mystery and Marcelle dealing with all sorts of emotions and situations! 

This book is about addiction, Marcelle is addicted to alcohol. It also focuses on connected topics of addiction-trust, and telling the truth. And given that Marcelle covers for Hannah, well, things spiral from there. But there's also the mystery of what happened to Hannah, so there was a lot going on!

One complaint I have, and I saw that others had, was the treatment program. First off, the adult guy in charge let two teens who had completed the program run the activities. Which, no, don't do that, you're the professional, and they are teenagers. Their brains haven't fully developed yet, and while have relevant life experiences, haven't the tools necessary for this kind of task. Because the way that they did things, well, caused more harm than good.

Yeah, the way this book came together was really great. I mean, part of it was that keeping secrets out of shame, and it sucks, that it didn't have to happen. But I'm glad how it worked out, Marcelle is on a much better path, and I'm glad for her! 

This was a really good book, and I enjoyed reading it! 

Author: Claire Needell
Read: September 29th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: April 30th 3019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!