Saturday, October 3, 2020

Week 40 Review: You

From Goodreads:
When a beautiful aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she'll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a "chance" meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck's life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck's perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.

A terrifying exploration of how vulnerable we all are to stalking and manipulation, debut author Caroline Kepnes delivers a razor-sharp novel for our hyper-connected digital age.

My Review:
I was really excited to read this book, I heard good things, and it sounded interesting. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but there were some points where I just really disliked Joe, and not just because he was a stalker. Just some of the things that came from his brain annoyed me.

I knew going in that this would be told in 2nd perspective, so it was like I was the one doing the things that Joe was doing, and yeah, it was a pretty interesting. Because he really doesn't have a moral compass-and when he meets Beck, he quickly becomes obsessed with her, and starts stalking her. Not the kind of thing most people would do!

This was stalking in the age of the internet, and it was interesting to see how Joe used what Beck put out on her social media accounts. And the lengths that he went to...well, people aren't perfect, and obsessions can go very wrong, very badly, especially in cases like Joe.

While I didn't like Joe as a character-though it was really interesting to be in his head-I didn't really like Beck, either. She didn't deserve what he did to her, but that doesn't mean that I want to read about her, so again, while I'm not agreeing with what happened, I'm glad that focus will be elsewhere in the sequels.

I enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to read the sequel-and watch the show! 

Author: Caroline Kepnes
Series: You #1
Read: September 29th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: It sounded good, and I want to watch the TV show! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Atria
Published: September 25th 2014
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!