Saturday, October 3, 2020

Week 40 Review: Unnatural Magic

From Goodreads:
A "brilliant and terrifically fun" debut novel brings an enchanting new voice to fantasy.

Onna can write the parameters of a spell faster than any of the young men in her village school. But despite her incredible abilities, she's denied a place at the nation's premier arcane academy. Undaunted, she sails to the bustling city-state of Hexos, hoping to find a place at a university where they don't think there's anything untoward about providing a woman with a magical education. But as soon as Onna arrives, she's drawn into the mysterious murder of four trolls.

Tsira is a troll who never quite fit into her clan, despite being the leader's daughter. She decides to strike out on her own and look for work in a human city, but on her way she stumbles upon the body of a half-dead human soldier in the snow. As she slowly nurses him back to health, an unlikely bond forms between them, one that is tested when an unknown mage makes an attempt on Tsira's life. Soon, unbeknownst to each other, Onna and Tsira both begin devoting their considerable talents to finding out who is targeting trolls, before their homeland is torn apart...

My Review:
This book was such a great read! It was a bit slow to learn the world, because we were just thrown straight in with not a lot of explanation. But I loved exploring it, and I'm really excited for C.M. Waggoner's sophomore book, which is set in this world again, starring Tsira and Jeckran's daughter. So excited for that! 

I have to say, right off the bat, I was really intrigued by the synopsis. I read it about a year ago, and I still remembered about the magic and trolls, and I just really wanted to read it! I had to go searching for it, because of the year thing, but I'm so glad that I did, because this was such a wonderful read! 

In the beginning, I was mainly interested in Onna's perspective, but we kept staying with Tsira and Jeckran. To the point where I was invested in them, and wanted to read about all 3 of them, which this book gladly gave me.

I loved how these three characters stories intertwined. It was such a great mystery, and I loved watching the various relationships develop and seeing these characters interact. It just made that full ending-climax and the final scene, so satisfying to read! Loved how it all worked out!

This book was so fantastic, and I'm so thrilled that we get to read more of this world, and more by C.M. Waggoner! 

Author: C.M. Waggoner
Read: September 28th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: It sounded really good, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Ace
Published: November 1st 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!