Saturday, October 3, 2020

Week 40 Review: The Way of Kings

From Goodreads:
I long for the days before the Last Desolation. Before the Heralds abandoned us and the Knights Radiant turned against us. When there was still magic in Roshar and honor in the hearts of men.

In the end, not war but victory proved the greater test. Did our foes see that the harder they fought, the fiercer our resistance? Fire and hammer forge a sword; time and neglect rust it away. So we won the world, yet lost it.

Now there are four whom we watch: the surgeon, forced to forsake healing and fight in the most brutal war of our time; the assassin, who weeps as he kills; the liar, who wears her scholar's mantle over a thief's heart; and the prince, whose eyes open to the ancient past as his thirst for battle wanes.

One of them may redeem us. One of them will destroy us. 

My Review:
This book was such a fantastic read! I was intimidated a bit by this book, it's so long, and this series is touted as one of Brandon Sanderson's best. And high fantasy is not really my genre. But it was a really fantastic read, I enjoyed it so much!

The way this book is told is pretty different and interesting to read! I mean, we start off with this prologue, skip 4500 years ahead, have an intense scene, skip forward just a few years to finally be in the head of a main character, then skip ahead again, just only months this time. And then there's the interludes, which were just so darned fascinating!

I did know, going in, that this book was also unlike his other books in that when there's magic, it's explained, but in this book, it's mentioned, and then no explanation. So I was very curious, and between that mystery and the excellent characters, well, I couldn't put this book down!

I am a little confused. Why didn't Kaladin talk to Sigzil about seeing Hoid? Since Hoid was his master, and said that Sigzil had graduated from being an apprentice? I don't get why Kaladin didn't talk to Sigzil about it! Or least, we didn't see it...

The snowball avalanche ending was different in this book than his others. I don't know if it's a combination of his growth as an author, or because Shallan wasn't with Dalinar and Kaladin. Either way or both, it was different, and I loved it! 

I know that there's a lot of questions in this series. Like who is the narrator of the synopsis above. The history of Hoid and what's he's planning/doing, since this is the first book/series where he's had more than a quick scene or two and then he's gone. I want to know more about the heralds and the Knights Radiant, as well as the spren and the magic. So many mysteries and secrets, and I can't wait to read more, and to learn them! This is just such an epic series!

I loved reading this book, and I can't wait to continue this series!

Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: Stromlight Archives #1, Cosmere
Read: October 2nd, 2020
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Love his writing and this world, and I have to read more! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Tom Doherty
Published: August 31st 2010
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!