Saturday, July 24, 2021

Week 29 Review: Carrie

From Goodreads:
Carrie knew she should not use the terrifying power she possessed... But one night at her senior prom, Carrie was scorned and humiliated just one time too many, and in a fit of uncontrollable fury she turned her clandestine game into a weapon of horror and destruction...

My Review:
It was hard for me to read this book. It's not that long, but I really related to Carrie, and she was treated so poorly. Doesn't excuse what she did, but man, after all that, it's no wonder that she snapped! And while I knew the story mainly from how often it's referenced in our collective consciousness, well, here, we were getting the thoughts and feelings of the people around her, and that was not fun at all! 

Carrie has had a crappy time of it. Between her dad dying before she was born, her mom being a crazy intense religious lady who was a strict disciplinarian who either didn't know, care, or believe to teach Carrie some very basic things of the world, like having a period, it's been tough. And it's resulted in Carrie being extremely naïve and innocent. And being an outsider.

Throughout this book, I had the Jaws sound stuck in my head. That it was building up to something bad. Watching Carrie discover her powers, and deal with her mom, and deal with school. They were all just mounting pressure on her, and it's no wonder she cracked when she did! 

I knew how it was going to end. The prom date, the pig's blood. The screaming and the death. They didn't deserve that, but she didn't deserve what happened to her, either. I think most people who if they'd lived a life like Carrie, had that happen to her, would've reacted just about the same. 

I enjoyed this book, but it was a hard read! 

Author: Stephen King
Read: July 18th, 2021
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really good (and I've seen some of the most recent movie) and it's a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Doubleday Publishing 
Published: April 5th 1974
4/5 Hearts
0/5 Books
2.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!