Saturday, July 31, 2021

Week 30 Review: Sing Me Forgotten

From Goodreads:
Isda does not exist. At least not beyond the opulent walls of the opera house.

Cast into a well at birth for being one of the magical few who can manipulate memories when people sing, she was saved by Cyril, the opera house's owner. Since that day, he has given her sanctuary from the murderous world outside. All he asks in return is that she use her power to keep ticket sales high—and that she stay out of sight. For if anyone discovers she survived, Isda and Cyril would pay with their lives.

But Isda breaks Cyril's cardinal rule when she meets Emeric Rodin, a charming boy who throws her quiet, solitary life out of balance. His voice is unlike any she's ever heard, but the real shock comes when she finds in his memories hints of a way to finally break free of her gilded prison.

Haunted by this possibility, Isda spends more and more time with Emeric, searching for answers in his music and his past. But the price of freedom is steeper than Isda could ever know. For even as she struggles with her growing feelings for Emeric, she learns that in order to take charge of her own destiny, she must become the monster the world tried to drown in the first place. 

My Review:
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It's a retelling of the Phantom of the Opera, which I've never seen, but I know the gist, because my mom loves the music for it. So I was interested in how it was going to play out!

This world where you can sell the amount of memories that you can actually remember to be used as currency-and there are people who can extract that, and there are people that can manipulate your memories while you sing. And the later are hated because of a two year period where a trio ruled, and caused a lot of death. It was such an interesting concept! 

Because of what she is, something that she has no control over, Isda was supposed to be killed right after she was born, but she was rescued. She now spends her time at the opera. But it really sucks, because she's really musically gifted, but she can't show it. I felt so badly for her, but at the same time, I was worried about things going too far, which was a real possibility.

And oh, then there was Emeric. He has a talent as well, but he also has knowledge that she wants. I loved watching them interact, but once the plot started to snowball, oh, that hurt! I had to know what was going to happen next! And the ending, man, that was brutal! Fitting, but boy did it hurt! 

Loved reading this book, and I can't wait to read more by Jessica S. Olson! 

Author: Jessica S. Olson 
Read: July 25th, 2021
Source: Edelweiss/NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a 2021 Retelling Reading Challenge, DAC Book, SAC 2021 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Published: March 9th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!