Saturday, July 24, 2021

Week 29 Reviews: Tomes Apprentice, First of Tomes


From Goodreads:
It's like the start of a bad joke: a Master of Tomes, his apprentice, and ninety world-saving records get lost at sea.

Mei Li really wishes the joke wasn't her life. For two years she's been stranded in a remote village with no knowledge of where her master is or what's going on in the world. What she does know is one: she refuses to be sacrificed to the "god" the villagers think live on the mountain, two: she fully plans on negotiating with said "god" (who, luckily for her, turns out to be a dragon more than happy to rescue her).

Her relief over being rescued is short lived when she learns that her master is still lost, along with the tomes detailing how to reseal and fix all the upcoming problems for the next decade. And at least four world disasters are due to be prevented in the next two months. To make matters worse, the Tomes Masters are the only people in the world who carry the knowledge of how to reseal the pesky problems like five-thousand-year-old sleeping demons and disintegrating harbor walls.

With her master gone, everyone is looking to Mei Li for answers she doesn't have, but still has to procure. Her options are to solve the disasters—with high potential for the world ending—or somehow find Master and the missing tomes.

Right now, Mei Li wants to go back in time and punch her six-year-old self for being an idiot. Being able to read books all day is not worth the stress of dealing with ancient, evil things on a regular basis.

From Goodreads:
Apparently, time-travel spells have a sense of humor and don't take direction well. Mei Li could've done with knowing that beforehand, and fully blames Shunlei for not forewarning her.

Instead of going back a few years to rescue the missing tomes, Mei Li finds herself thousands of years in the past, with the original events she needs to learn about still ten years into the future. She is stuck in a hurry-up-and-wait pattern she doesn't appreciate.

It doesn't help that this world is full of its own problems, and Mei Li has more than enough of those already. Now she must face shape shifting demons, volatile water deities, and a murderous sword on a rampage all while trying to figure out WHY the spell sent her here in the first place.

There are a few side benefits. Mei Li gets to meet younger Shunlei—or Shunlei the Red. Seeing him as a young dragon is fun. It's also fascinating being with the first group of magical troubleshooters, the original founders before the Tomes system ever existed.

And when the past starts to intertwine with the future in ways she could never have predicted, Mei Li prays she's able to navigate it without ruining the future. If she does, she fully plans on blaming Shunlei for that as well.

My first review of Tomes Apprentice, First of Tomes
My second review of Tomes Apprentice
My Review:
Yeah, wow, I had to reread these books! Book 3 is coming out soon! And will definitely be one break in ARC August that I'll be taking, because I need to read it immediately! I'm so freaking excited for Master of Tomes! But I was planning on doing this a little closer to its release, which was maybe a mistake on my part, because I'm just dying to see how it all plays out! 

Tomes Apprentice, this is the 3rd time I've read it, and I just adore to pieces. I love watching her evaluate everything she has to solve, and what resources and knowledge she has, knowing she's coming up short, coming up with the plan to go to the past.

First of Tomes, it's only the 2nd time I read it, and I did forget a good deal of what happened, like how to deal with an elemental. But she is in the past with a new cast of characters-Shunlei the Red is a much younger and innocent version, given that he hasn't lived the 5000 years of Shunlei the Black yet. I loved watching them face off these threats, as well as fall in love! It was so adorable and I loved it! 

This is going to be a trilogy, Master of Tomes will be the last book, which is sad, because I love this world and these characters. But I'm so excited to read it. From a snippet, I can surmise that most of the book is going to be set in the present, when Shunlei is the Black And I'm so freaking excited for their reunion, I keep picturing it. Will it be in public? Will there be some aggression from the secrets he kept? And will the group around them know that she was his wife, or will this reunion be the way that they find out? I need to know! 

I have one or two other burning questions for book 3. Will Abe be found, and if so, how will he react to what's happened with Mei? And who or what is the Darkels that Hui was supposed to be be around to give an alarm if they came? And is that just a one off, or will it be important? I want to know!

These were such incredible reads, which I already knew, and I need the final book! 

Author: Honor Raconteur
Series: The Tomes of Kaleria #1, 2
First Read: February 21st, 2020, July 10th 2020
Second Read: March 15th, 2020
Read: July 21st, 22nd, 2021
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Rereading because the final book is coming out, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Books!
Publisher: Raconteur House LLC
Published: December 3rd 2019, July 10th, 2020

Tomes Apprentice:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








First of Tomes:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!