Saturday, July 24, 2021

Week 29 Review: Iron Heart

From Goodreads:
Critically acclaimed author Nina Varela delivers a stunning sequel to the richly imagined queer epic fantasy Crier's War, which SLJ called "perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass."

For too long, Automae have lorded over the kingdom of Rabu, oppressing its human citizens. But the human revolution has risen, and at its heart is Ayla. Once a handmaiden, now a fugitive, Ayla narrowly escaped the palace of Lady Crier, the girl she would've killed if she hadn't fallen in love first. 

Now Ayla has pledged her allegiance to Queen Junn, who can help accomplish the human rebellion's ultimate goal: destroy the Iron Heart. Without its power, the Automae will be weakened to the point of extinction. Ayla wants to succeed, but can't shake the strong feelings she's developed for Crier. And unbeknownst to her, Crier has also fled the palace, taking up among traveling rebels, determined to find and protect Ayla.

Even as their paths collide, nothing can prepare them for the dark secret underlying the Iron Heart.

My Review:
Yes I loved reading this book! And I almost entirely read it via audiobook, so that was an achievement! I've only done that once before, and that was with an audiobook that was CD's, instead of a file on my phone. It did help that I had a few tasks that made it easy to listen, like driving for a long time, and packing! 

Reading about Crier and Ayla now, after they've been separated, dealing with the trauma of what happened, was really excellent! We got to watch them grow as people, wonder about their relationship ad learn more of the mysteries of the world, which helped when they got back together!

And man, when we found out what the secret of the Iron Heart was, that was just incredible! There were a few more secrets hanging around this world, but that one took the cake! It was shocking and horrible, and I loved how that all developed and played out! 

I loved that ending, loved how she beat Scyre Kinok, used the advantage of Alya's grandparents to stay ahead of the game! I loved when all these people that she'd met came to band around her, and just overall thought that ending was epic!

There is still a question or two, like who was writing or receiving those letters. But this is a duology, so unless we get another series set in this world (which I would not mind at all!) we probably won't get answers. Oh, well!

This was a really fantastic read, and I can't wait to see what Nina Varela writes next!  

Author: Nina Varela
Series: Crier's War #2
Read: July 18th, 2021
Source: Library
Reason Why: Love her writing and the first book, and it's a End of Series 2021 Book, Prequel & Sequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Quill Tree Books
Published: September 8th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!