Saturday, June 11, 2022

Week 23 Review: Nothing But Darkened Teeth

From Goodreads:
Cassandra Khaw's Nothing But Blackened Teeth is a gorgeously creepy haunted house tale, steeped in Japanese folklore and full of devastating twists.

A Heian-era mansion stands abandoned, its foundations resting on the bones of a bride and its walls packed with the remains of the girls sacrificed to keep her company.

It's the perfect wedding venue for a group of thrill-seeking friends.

But a night of food, drinks, and games quickly spirals into a nightmare. For lurking in the shadows is the ghost bride with a black smile and a hungry heart.

And she gets lonely down there in the dirt. 

My Review:
I had such a great time with this book! It was dark and creepy, and I couldn't put it down! Reading about this group of friends who are together for a wedding-and all the drama between them all-and then all the spooky stuff going down, it was really awesome! 

My one complaint would be, it feels like we were in an episode or something, and not the first one, that we were missing some backstory. Like, was she in a mental health hospital or something? And for what reason? I was just a little bit confused.

This is a group of people who are connected in a few ways. There's the bride Talia and the groom Faiz, there's Cat who had past relationships with the groom, and Philip, who got them the opportunity to be married here. And Lin, who rounded out the group and gave them needed disruption. They had complicated dynamics, where there because it was a spooky spot-they just weren't prepared for what went down! 

That ending though? That was pretty unexpected, but I loved the direction that it went. It would've been great to have have more of the time afterwards, but what we did get was satisfying enough to close out the plot line.

This was a really great read, and I can't wait to read more by Cassandra Khaw! 

Author: Cassandra Khaw
Read: June 10th, 2022
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Macmillian Audio
Published: October 19th 2021
/5 Hearts
/5 Books
/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!