Saturday, July 2, 2022

Week 26 Review: The Hating Game

From Goodreads:
Nemesis (n.) 1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.
2) A person's undoing
3) Joshua Templeman

Lucy Hutton has always been certain that the nice girl can get the corner office. She's charming and accommodating and prides herself on being loved by everyone at Bexley & Gamin. Everyone except for coldly efficient, impeccably attired, physically intimidating Joshua Templeman. And the feeling is mutual.

Trapped in a shared office together 40 (OK, 50 or 60) hours a week, they've become entrenched in an addictive, ridiculous never-ending game of one-upmanship. There's the Staring Game. The Mirror Game. The HR Game. Lucy can't let Joshua beat her at anything—especially when a huge new promotion goes up for the taking.

If Lucy wins this game, she'll be Joshua's boss. If she loses, she'll resign. So why is she suddenly having steamy dreams about Joshua, and dressing for work like she's got a hot date? After a perfectly innocent elevator ride ends with an earth-shattering kiss, Lucy starts to wonder whether she's got Joshua Templeman all wrong.

Maybe Lucy Hutton doesn't hate Joshua Templeman. And maybe, he doesn't hate her either. Or maybe this is just another game.

My Review:
Oh man, this was such a fun read! I don't read a lot of contemporary romance, but this book with the very contentious relationship between Lucy and Josh, I couldn't put it down! I loved the games that they played, and how she realized that maybe her feelings aren't what she thought they were.

I really enjoyed reading about these two, she's an literature lover, and he's more of a numbers person, and they do not get along. She's a people pleaser, and he makes people afraid of him. But as they spend more time out of the office together, the more she gets to know him, and I loved watching that develop!

One thing that I enjoyed, was that she didn't put him down for his looks, she acknowledged that he was decent looking. She did make comments about her own actions, but they weren't mean spirited, or shaming, and I really enjoyed that, as well, that they weren't meant in a mean way.

I did watch the movie the next day, and while they made some changes, they stuck close to the story, but just made it more adapt to being on the big screen. So that was really great, though I had to think back to remember what they had changed, what they skipped over, because my memory is that poor! 

This was a really wonderful read, and I'm so glad that I read it! 

Author: Sally Thorne
Read: June 30th, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Sounded really great and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2022 Book! 
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Published: August 9th 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!