Saturday, September 2, 2023

Week 35 Review: Tales of the Peculiar

From Goodreads:
Before Miss Peregrine gave them a home, the story of peculiars was written in the Tales.

Wealthy cannibals who dine on the discarded limbs of peculiars. A fork-tongued princess. The origins of the first ymbryne. These are but a few of the truly brilliant stories in Tales of the Peculiar—known to hide information about the peculiar world—first introduced by Ransom Riggs in his Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series.

Riggs now invites you to share his secrets of peculiar history, with a collection of original stories, as collected and annotated by Millard Nullings, ward of Miss Peregrine and scholar of all things peculiar.

My Review:
This was a really great read! I'm pretty sure that this came out after the original trilogy, and I haven't picked this series up in a while, so it worked out to pick this one up now, and I can start a reread of the series, and I think complete it, I don't think there's been anything new in a few years now.

These stories were weird. Some of them were really sad, like the cannibal one, and others were sweet, like the story of the first ymbryne and how she discovered her ability. There was such a wide variety, and I had a great time reading them! 

Considering the series, it's really no surprise that this book is about a lot of the difficulties that Peculiars face, from those who aren't Peculiar. The ones that was most present in was The Fork-Tongued Princess, The Locust, and The Boy Who Could Hold Back the Sea. Their problems stemmed from the fact that they were peculiar, and it sucks that they went through that. 

My favourites of the collection would have to be between The First Ymbryne and The Pigeons of Saint Paul's. The first is a great, positive story, and the second is just weird and hilarious, and I love that idea of the birds feud with things being built there! 

Loved reading these stories, and I can't wait to continue on with the full length books! 

Author: Ransom Riggs
Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #0.5
Read: August 27th, 2023 
Source: Library 
Reason Why: Love his writing and this series, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book! 
Publisher: Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group
Published: SEptember 3rd 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!