Saturday, February 17, 2024

Week 7 Review: The Brides of High Hill

From Goodreads:
The Hugo Award-Winning Series returns with its newest standalone entry: a gothic mystery involving a crumbling estate, a mysterious bride, and an extremely murderous teapot.

The Cleric Chih accompanies a beautiful young bride to her wedding to an aging lord at a crumbling estate situated at the crossroads of dead empires. But they're forgetting things they ought to remember, and the lord's mad young son wanders the grounds at night like a hanged ghost.

My Review:
Of course this was another great installment in the series! I loved this latest tale that Chih collected, of the story of the brides of High Hill-why there's been so many, and the history of the estate. It definitely went in an unexpected direction! 

It's been said that this series can be read in any order. That might have changed in these later volumes since this book mentions the passing of his mentor which happened in the previous book, though this book does play with the expectation that things from previous books hold true in this one. I'm trying to be vague, but I loved how that part worked!

With the mutterings of the lord's son, we do have a pretty good idea what had happened to the previous wives, which just made it all the worse that this young lady that Chih had come to care for, was going to have to go through that. 

I love the fact that Chih's memory and love of stories helped solve things in the end, to resolve things to the best ending that could happen, given what had already occurred. It made it all the more satisfying to read! But it did give Chih a heck of a story to bring back. 

Loved reading this book, and I can't wait for whatever story comes next! 

Author: Nghi Vo
Series: The Singing Hills Cycle #5
Read: February 10th, 2024
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love this series, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Tordotcom
Expected Publication: May 7th 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!