Saturday, February 24, 2024

Week 8 Review: Lessons in Chemistry

From Goodreads:
A delight for readers of Where'd You Go, Bernadette and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, this blockbuster debut set in 1960s California features the singular voice of Elizabeth Zott, a scientist whose career takes a detour when she becomes the star of a beloved TV cooking show.

Chemist Elizabeth Zott is not your average woman. In fact, Elizabeth Zott would be the first to point out that there is no such thing as an average woman. But it’s the early 1960s and her all-male team at Hastings Research Institute takes a very unscientific view of equality. Except for one: Calvin Evans; the lonely, brilliant, Nobel–prize nominated grudge-holder who falls in love with—of all things—her mind. True chemistry results.

But like science, life is unpredictable. Which is why a few years later Elizabeth Zott finds herself not only a single mother, but the reluctant star of America’s most beloved cooking show Supper at Six. Elizabeth's unusual approach to cooking ("combine one tablespoon acetic acid with a pinch of sodium chloride") proves revolutionary. But as her following grows, not everyone is happy. Because as it turns out, Elizabeth Zott isn't just teaching women to cook. She's daring them to change the status quo.

My Review:
This book, man! I knew that it was going to rile me up, because Elizabeth had to face such obstacles, just because she was female, and oh, it did that! This is Elizabeth's story, and how it connects with others, and I just loved it! Though six thirty was my favourite character and I hurt when he hurt. 

This book played with the timeline a lot, starting off hen she takes the job to be on the show, and then goes back and show her time with Calvin, and how she healed. At points, we would points in the past that helped explain something and it worked so well! 

The way that she was looked down, because she was female, and then because she was on tv, it just infuriated me, because while things are better then they were, they still aren't the best. That her show opened up women's minds about their potential, was just brilliant! I honestly thought that guys would figure out what was going on, and cause trouble, but nope, it always came from the same place of that a woman wouldn't be capable. Bah! 

But oh, that ending! I just loved how it brought everything together, all the bits of detail that we'd been told, and told us why were were told them, why they were important! It ends on such a heart-wrenching, cleansing, and ultimately positive ending! I couldn't get enough, I still want more! 

Absolutely loved it, I can't wait to watch the show, and I hope to read more by Bonnie Garmus in the future! 

Author: Bonnie Garmus
Read: February 23rd, 2024
Source: Library 
Reason Why: Sounded really good and the tv show sounded good, and it's a DAC Book, Historical Fiction 2024 Book and a SAC 2024 Book! 
Publisher: Random House Audio
Published: March 31st 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!