Saturday, September 3, 2011

Week 35 Review: A Clash of Kings

From Goodreads:
A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. Two great leaders—Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon—who hold sway over an age of enforced peace are dead, victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.

My Review:
Well, I'm slowly following my own advice, to read more of the series. And it was great advice, if I do say so myself! A Clash of Kings was excellent! It was wordy, like Game of Thrones, but good! I loved all the different characters, and how we got some more, and how there were developments in the plots started in the first book!

A quote that stays in my mind, said by Tyrion, "Those are brave men. Let's go kill them." Makes you think, right? All of the kings in this book have, or think they have, a true claim to the throne, be it by son heir, brother heir, brother heir/strength of army, or splitting the kingdom to what it was, and then having others fight for them, and fighting with them on a case to case basis. And it's really sad.

I really didn't like the Theon parts, he wasn't a good character, but I didn't like his sister, either. They just gave me a wrong feeling, and after Theon's acted in the previous books, well, I just didn't like him. But he didn't deserve what he got in the end!

Other then that, this was just an awesome book, I wish Arya best, and the same of the Kingslayer, since the way that was left off...I wouldn't want to be in his place! They're characters that I want to know more of, which is hard in this world with so much backstabbing and betrayal!

So read this book, and the rest of the series, if you haven't! Really great!

Author: George R. R. Martin
Series: A Song of Fire and Ice #2
Read: August 29th-September 2nd, 2011
Source: Bought at Chapters
Reason Why: Enjoyed Game of Thrones, so I just had to read this book!
Published: Bantam Books
Publisher: November 16th 1998
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!