Saturday, September 3, 2011

Week 35 Review: Rooms

From Goodreads:
On a rainy spring day in Seattle, young software tycoon Micah Taylor receives a cryptic, twenty-five-year-old letter from a great uncle he never knew. It claims a home awaits him on the Oregon coast that will turn his world inside out. Suspecting a prank, Micah arrives at Cannon Beach to discover a stunning brand new nine-thousand square foot house. And after meeting Sarah Sabin at a nearby ice cream shop, he has two reasons to visit the beach every weekend.

When bizarre things start happening in the rooms of the home, Micah suspects they have some connection to his enigmatic new friend, Rick, the town mechanic. But Rick will only say the house is spiritual. This unnerves Micah because his faith slipped away like the tide years ago, and he wants to keep it that way. But as he slowly discovers, the home isn't just spiritual, it's a physical manifestation of his soul, which God uses to heal Micah’s darkest wounds and lead him into an astonishing new destiny.


My Review:
Ok, I admit that this review is a long time coming. After all, this was an eARC on NetGalley before it came out, and it came out last year. But I wasn't on NetGalley for a long time, so I think that should excuse me.

Well, you guys might have seen how long I've been trying to read this book, I think it's been at least a month that it's been on my week to be read and then reviewed, and just hasn't happened.

I'd started reading it bits at a time, and it didn't really catch my interest. And then it just seemed, I dunno, a  little off kilter, that world, and a little bit not real. I just couldn't get into the world until about halfway (200 pages or so) in. Then that was when I really started reading it 2 days ago. And that's when it really got interesting, and all the things that were happening, and all the choices, and all that such.

I really didn't like how religion was really used, it was heavy and overbearing, but it was the main focus in the book. And I didn't really like how he had to loose everything in his old life to have his new life and his love of Christ and the Lord and such.

Other then that, pretty good. I enjoyed the last 200 pages, and I read them pretty quickly, despite some detractions.

The best part, were the rooms that kept appearing, and I really liked that bit, and was one of the redeeming parts in the book.

Yep, so you should read it only if you like scifi, religion, finding who you are and healing past hurts, and a bit of romance. Yep.

Author: James L. Rubart
Read: August 9th-September 2nd, 2011
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: It's a A-Z Book, and it sounded really good! I had to read it!
Publisher: B&H Books
Published: April 1st 2010
4/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!