Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week 44 Review: Living Dead in Dallas

Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse is having a streak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no one seems to care. Then she comes face-to-face with a beastly creature which gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it). The point is: they saved her life. So when one of the bloodsuckers asks for a favour, she obliges - and soon Sookie's in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She's supposed to interview certain humans involved, but she makes one condition: the vampires must promise to behave, and let the humans go unharmed. But that's easier said than done, and all it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly ...The Sookie Stackhouse books are delightful Southern Gothic supernatural mysteries, starring Sookie, the telepathic cocktail waitress, and a cast of increasingly colourful characters, including vampires, werewolves and things that really do go bump in the night.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book! It was a lot of fun, with the ever practical, smart, and beautiful Sookie, and there were a lot of developments in this book! Really enjoyed it. And since I've already seen season 2 of True Blood, I have a basis of comparison. I prefer the sub-plots of the TV show, but prefer the book voice of Sookie and Bill, because it's hard to write accents. And I'm finding out that I don't really like heavy southern accents all that much. But the sub-plots of the TV show, like her brother, Jason, her boss, Sam, and her friends, those really added to the show that I wish could've been in the book. But anyways.

I really enjoyed the developments in this book, and how Sookie and Bill manage a few new things, and I really enjoyed the introduction, well, a more formal one, into the worlds of other supernatural creatures, since Sam doesn't really know his heritage, and these newly introduced people do. And I hope that she gets to spend more time with the fellow telepathic. Because that was dropped off without much thought on Sookie's part, in this book, at least.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book, so I was happy that I got it from BookMooch, and yeah, you guys should check this out if you don't mind too heavy "adult" scenes, both in the book, and the show. Yep.

Author: Charlaine Harris
Series: Sookie Stackhouse #2
Read: November 1st, 2011
Source: BookMooch
Reason Why: Wanted to read the series, since I'm watching the show!
Publisher: Orion Publishing Co
Published: April 26th 2002
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!