Saturday, April 8, 2017

Week 14 Review: Big Little Lies

From Goodreads:
Sometimes it's the little lies that turn out to be the most lethal...

A murder, a tragic accident or just parents behaving badly? What's indisputable is that someone is dead. But who did what?

Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She's funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline's youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline's teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline’s ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?). 

Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn't be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay. 

New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.

Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the dangerous little lies we tell ourselves just to survive.

My Review:
Honestly, I hadn't really heard of this book before the tv show that's based off of it started. I think I've seen it around, but I wasn't really interested. Well, the tv show got me interested, and now that I've seen the 7th episode, I had to read this book! And there are going to be comparisons between the two!

I did have a little bit of trouble keeping track of all the characters that were being interviewed. Besides Bonnie and Jonathan. The others, they just were really hard to separate each person, and link that person up to what they were saying in the different clips, and what they were doing in the time leading up to trivia night.

Books usually have more detail then the moving picture screen. Their basic, reasonable length is way longer than tv shows or movies. So I really enjoyed things like Saxon being Perry's cousin. On the other hand, I liked the details with Madeline and the theater, because it was something unrelated to everything else that was going on. Well, besides when Renata came in!

I honestly didn't expect all those twists at the end! We knew that Perry was violent, but we didn't think that a) that the kids knew about it, or b) that he was the one that assaulted Jane and fathered Ziggy. But that Max was the one that had hurt Amabella instead of Ziggy because of behaviours he'd learned from his father...that just added another explosion to that ending!

I preferred the ending in the book to the tv show. There was more ending, and Bonnie confessed, and we saw more of their lives after everything that had happened. I did like the five ladies and their kids playing on the beach, but the book ending had more!

Fantastic book, and it was just really enjoyable!

Author: Liane Moriarty
Read: April 2nd, 2017
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Watching the tv show and I needed to read the book! And it's a SAC 2017 Book!
Publisher: Putnam Adult
Published: July 29th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. This has been on my TBR list for way to long! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling of having books on your TBR pile for a long time! And thanks :) Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

      Delete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!