Saturday, April 29, 2017

Week 17 Reviews: A Kiss of Shadows, A Caress of Twilight, Seduced by Moonlight



From Goodreads:
My name is Meredith 'Merry' Gentry, but of course it's not my real name. I dare not even whisper my true name after dark for fear that one hushed word will travel over the night winds to the soft ear of my aunt, the Queen of Air and Darkness. She wants me dead. I don't even know why...

I fled the high court of Faerie three years ago and have been in hiding ever since. As Merry Gentry, I am a private investigator for the Grey Detective Agency: Supernatural Problems, Magical Solutions. My magical skills, scorned at the courts of Faerie, are valued in the human world. Even by human standards, my magic isn't flashy, which is fine by me. Flashy attracts attention and I can't afford that.

Rumour has it that I am dead. Not quite. I am Princess Meredith NicEssus. To speak that name after dark is to call down a knock upon your door from a hand that can kill you with a touch. I have been careful, but not careful enough. The shadows have found me, and they are going to take me back home, one way or another.

So the running is over. But the fighting has just begun...

Rich, sensual, brimming with dangerous magic, A Kiss of Shadows is a dazzling tour-de-force where folklore, fantasy and erotically charged adventure collide. 

From Goodreads:
"I am Princess Meredith, heir to a throne—if I can stay alive long enough to claim it."

After eluding relentless assassination attempts by Prince Cel, her cousin and rival for the Faerie crown, Meredith Gentry, Los Angeles private eye, has a whole new set of problems. To become queen, she must bear a child before Cel can father one of his own. But havoc lies on the horizon: people are dying in mysterious, frightening ways, and suddenly the very existence of the place known as Faerie is at grave risk. So now, while she enjoys the greatest pleasures of her life attempting to conceive a baby with the warriors of her royal guard, she must fend off an ancient evil that could destroy the very fabric of reality. And that's just her day job. . . 

From Goodreads:
I am Meredith Gentry, P.I. and Princess Merry, heir to the throne of Fairie. Now there are those among me who whisper I am more. They fear me even as they protect me. And who can blame them? I've awakened the dazzling magic that's slumbered in them for thousands of years. But the thing is, I can't figure out why.

My aunt, the Queen of Air and Darkness, is no longer distracted by her usual sadistic hobbies. Her obsession has turned unwaveringly to me. The mission to get me pregnant and beat my cousin Prince Cel to the crown is taking longer than expected. Even though I spend each night with the Queen's Ravens, my immortal guards, no child has come of our decadent pleasures. But something else is happening. My magic courses through me uncontrollably. And as I lock my half-mortal body with their full-Sidhe blooded ones, the power surges like never before.

It all began with the chalice. I dreamed of it, and it appeared, cool and hard, beside me when I awoke. My guards know the ancient relic well—its disappearance ages ago stripped them of their vital powers. But it is here with us now. My touch resonates with its force, and they're consumed with it, their Sidhe essences lit up by it. But even as they cherish me for this unexpected gift, there are those who loathe me for it. Me, a mongrel, only half fey and part mortal. The Unseelie court has suffered for so long, and there are some who would not have it weakened further by an impure queen. My enemies grow in number every day. But they do not know what I am capable of. Nor, for that matter, do I. . . . 

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these books! They aren't for everybody, given that sexuality is more free then society really permits. And that about half of each book is sex in one form or another. And yeah, the pages flew by so quickly!

I'm going to start off with complains, because that's easier for me. The first book is like double any of the others so far in the series. And it felt a bit disjointed, almost, going from investigator to princess. So that was a bit weird. And the other thing, was some of the repetitions, like the one of Doyle. Yes, we get it, he was the Queen's Darkness. That phrase that she'd say, I think it was in all of the books, at least once. Which was a bit unnecessary. And I wish that we could've seen the girl that she grew up with more, because I think she'd been an interesting character, but we haven't seen her since that concentration between Merry and her cousin outside the Unseelie barrow.

Anyways, onto the good stuff! Merry was so awesome to read about! She was smart, and resourceful and diplomatic. She had her strengths-a growing strength of magic that she didn't start out with, but she wasn't strong of body, at least compared to other Fae. I found it hard to read about her like of a bit of pain with her loving. Because I'm afraid of pain, so yeah, that was a bit weird.

Merry faces a lot of challenges throughout these books. She's the first and only mortal Sidhe, and the other Sidhe don't like that. And lots of people want to kill her, and try. But then she's allowed her men, and yeah, while I know some of what's to come, I can't wait to read it, sounds like a heck of a ride!

This series is off to a great start, and I can't wait to see where it's going to go next!

Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Series: Merry Gentry #1, 2, 3
Read: April 28th, 28th, 28th, 2017
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded pretty great, and I wanted to! And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2017 Books!
Publisher: Random House, Ballantine Books
Published: September 30th 2000, March 1st 2002, January 3rd 2004

A Kiss of Shadows:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









A Caress of Twilight:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









Seduced by Moonlight:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!