Saturday, June 13, 2020

Week 24 Review: A Curse so Dark and Lonely

From Goodreads:
Fall in love, break the curse.

Cursed by a powerful enchantress to repeat the autumn of his eighteenth year, Prince Rhen, the heir of Emberfall, thought he could be saved easily if a girl fell for him. But that was before he turned into a vicious beast hell-bent on destruction. Before he destroyed his castle, his family, and every last shred of hope.

Nothing has ever been easy for Harper. With her father long gone, her mother dying, and her brother constantly underestimating her because of her cerebral palsy, Harper learned to be tough enough to survive. When she tries to save a stranger on the streets of Washington, DC, she's pulled into a magical world.

Break the curse, save the kingdom.

Harper doesn't know where she is or what to believe. A prince? A curse? A monster? As she spends time with Rhen in this enchanted land, she begins to understand what's at stake. And as Rhen realizes Harper is not just another girl to charm, his hope comes flooding back. But powerful forces are standing against Emberfall . . . and it will take more than a broken curse to save Harper, Rhen, and his people from utter ruin.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book! And while it took me a while to get around to reading it, well, I'm glad I read it around the time I did, because book 3 is only half a year away, so I don't have to wait that long!

I knew two things about this book. One that it was a beauty and the beast retelling with disability; rep. And two, that it had a lot of hype around it. So I was looking forward to reading it. And it didn't disappoint, I loved everything about it! 

I've enjoyed Brigid Kemmerer's other books (really need to finish the Elemental series, so I need to reread it) and it was really great to dive into this world with these characters. I loved watching Harper learn about the world, and Rhen learn from Harper.

A good deal of this book is about politics. Because Rhen killed his family at the beginning of his curse, but again, because of the curse, he didn't step up to rule. Which left the country without leadership. With Harper at his side, he starts to deal with those problems. But one is a pretty significant one, and it looks like it'll be the basis for the plot of book 2, which I'm really excited about! 

I just loved this story, there was romance and there was action, I loved watching Harper and Rhen's relationship develop, watch them verbally spar, and how they ultimately broke the curse. It was just a fantastic read and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Loved reading this book, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Series: Cursebreakers #1
Read: June 6th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded good, and it's a 2020 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Bloosmbury YA
Published: January 29th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!