Saturday, June 13, 2020

Week 24 Review: His Hideous Heart

From Goodreads:
Thirteen of YA's most celebrated names reimagine Edgar Allan Poe's most surprising, unsettling, and popular tales for a new generation.

Edgar Allan Poe may be a hundred and fifty years beyond this world, but the themes of his beloved works have much in common with modern young adult fiction. Whether the stories are familiar to readers or discovered for the first time, readers will revel in Edgar Allan Poe's classic tales, and how they've been brought to life in 13 unique and unforgettable ways.

My Review:
Yeah, this book was a fantastic read! I loved all the different stories, there was a variety of genres, but they were all retellings of stories that were set roughly in the same genre. Basically horror. And YA is just so wide, it can encompass a variety of genres, it's a big reason why I love it so much!

One of my favourite stories in this was Rin Chupeco's, because of the way it was told, it was the narrator telling the story to a friend, basically. And it was such an interesting mystery, and that twist was pretty epic! Loved how it ended!

I really enjoyed the worlds of the Emily Lloyd-Jones's story, as well as Lamar Giles's and Fran Wilde, The first and the last were both futuristic, and I really enjoyed the details that were in them, and Lamar Giles was an interesting paranormal mystery, and was so interesting to read!

One thing is that this book also contained the original stories that this anthology were retelling. And the style of the writing, it just wasn't for me, so I didn't read them. As I loved the ideas and pop culture from the original stories, the writing style just wasn't for me.

This was a fantastic, creepy, wonderful anthology, and I enjoyed it a lot!

Authors: Kendare Blake, Rin Chupeco, Lamar Giles, Tessa Gratton, Tiffany D. Jackson, Stephanie Kuehn, Emily Lloyd-Jones, Hillary Monahan, Marieke Nijkamp, Caleb Roehrig, and Fran Wilde
Read:  June 6th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: There's lots of great authors and it's a great concept for anthology, and it's a 2020 Retelling Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Published: September 10th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!