Saturday, August 8, 2020

Week 32 Review: Bombshell

From Goodreads:
MTV's Catfish meets We Were Liars in this compelling story about a teenage girl who isn't quite what she seems.

In real life, Joss Wyatt is an ordinary teenage girl, with a tight-knit group of friends and a potential boyfriend. But online, she's an art restorer in Washington, DC, a model jet-setting around Europe, a southern beauty queen trapped in a loveless marriage. Online, she's anyone she wants to be.

For years, Joss has maintained a varied set of alternative lives, using them to escape the boredom that is her existence in a generic Arizona suburb. But when she starts receiving anonymous messages threatening to reveal her identity to everyone she knows—both in real life and online—Joss's carefully constructed worlds begin to unravel. Can Joss catch her stalker before all of her worlds collapse?

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book! I actually started reading this book before it came out, because I did get it as an ARC, but I had to put it down, and then I never found the time to pick it up. So I'm glad that I made the chance to pick this book up!

On one hand, cat fishing is wrong. On the other, I can understand Joss wanting to get out of her regular life and her imagination was pretty detailed and expansive. I think the line was crossed when she pretended to be her characters online, to interact with real people. She'd be a pretty great author! I really enjoyed the times where she'd imagine what was going on with one of her creations, those were pretty interesting!

Joss is maybe an unreliable narrator, and given that her real life and her online ones might start to come together, well, made for thrilling reading! I wanted to know what was going on with her stalker, what happened in the past with the stalker when she was 13, that ended up involving the police. I really enjoyed all the mysteries in this book!

I really enjoyed her relationships with the various people in her life. Like Shane, who was a friend before the first stalker stuff went down. And her mom, which was interesting to read, because the sarcasm! And with the people that she communicated with, how much of herself she gave to the personalities she was creating, and so showed to said people communicated with. She had a wide variety of relationships in this book, and that was a great part of this book!

This book was a great, fun read, and I really enjoyed it!

Author: Rowan Maness
Read: August 7th, 2020
Source: Bought/Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published: July 4th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!