Saturday, August 15, 2020

Week 33 Review: The Dark Tide

From Goodreads:
The Wicked Deep meets A Curse So Dark and Lonely in this gripping, dark fairy-tale fantasy about two girls who must choose between saving themselves, each other, or their sinking island city.

Every year on St. Walpurga's Eve, Caldella's Witch Queen lures a boy back to her palace. An innocent life to be sacrificed on the full moon to keep the island city from sinking.

Lina Kirk is convinced her brother is going to be taken this year. To save him, she enlists the help of Thomas Lin, the boy she secretly loves, and the only person to ever escape from the palace. But they draw the queen's attention, and Thomas is chosen as the sacrifice.

Queen Eva watched her sister die to save the boy she loved. Now as queen, she won't make the same mistake. She's willing to sacrifice anyone if it means saving herself and her city.

When Lina offers herself to the queen in exchange for Thomas's freedom, the two girls await the full moon together. But Lina is not at all what Eva expected, and the queen is nothing like Lina envisioned. Against their will, they find themselves falling for each other. As water floods Caldella's streets and the dark tide demands its sacrifice, they must choose who to save: themselves, each other, or the island city relying on them both.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book! In my tablet, it was about 170 pages long, though the text was probably at it's smallest. And I just devoured this book, it was a really quick read, and I just couldn't down, I had to had more of Lina and Eva's story!

The magic was pretty interesting in this book. We had the main form, from various bits from a witch's body, hair, spit, things like that. So that was pretty interesting to read. Plus the history of the island, why they're all on this island, and why they have this sacrifice in the first place, well, they're important to the main plot of Lina's offer to be the sacrifice.

Reading about their relationship develop was just amazing to read. We were in both of their heads, and to see the moments that they were spending with each other, thinking of one another, was really great. Especially since Lina offered to switch places with Thomas, because she loved him. Plus there was the whole thing that it was going to end with one of them dead. Yeah, I really enjoyed their relationship!

That ending, though! I mean, she has to sacrifice someone that she loves, and she loves Lina. But we don't want Lina to die! I just loved that ending, and there's possibilities for the future, and I can't wait to see where it's going to go from here!

This book was utterly fantastic, and I can't wait to read the sequel!

Author: Alicia Jasinska
Series: The Dark Tide #1
Read: August 13th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded fantastic, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: August 4th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!