Saturday, August 15, 2020

Week 33 Review: Deacon Locke Went to Prom

From Goodreads:
Promposals are taking over Deacon Locke's high school and there is no place left to hide. Even Elijah, resident oddball, is looking to score a date. Although graduation is looming and prom could be his last chance to connect with the classmates he's always kept at a distance, shy and unusually tall Deacon doesn't think he can get up the nerve to ask anyone to the dance. Especially given all the theatrics involved nowadays.

It isn't until Deacon confides in his witty and outgoing best friend, Jean, that he realizes she could be a great person to take. Only problem is Jean isn't your typical prom date. She's older. A lot older.

And she's also Deacon's grandmother.

Strange as it may seem, Deacon doesn't really care what the social fallout might be from having Jean on his arm. He's not exactly popular, so what does he have to lose?

But when Deacon meets Soraya—a girl unlike any other he's ever met—he fears he has totally squandered his chances of having a prom he'll never forget.

Deacon couldn't be more wrong. About everything.

My Review:
I had a great time reading this book. It was hilarious, there was a lot of humour, and I loved the concept of a guy taking his grandmother to prom. Of course, shenanigans go down, and it was just a lot of fun to read this book!

I don't know who my favourite character was, Deacon's grandmother, Jean, or Soraya. They were both really fantastic to read about (I did like Deacon, but he was beat out by the ladies for being my favourite character.) I loved their personalities and who they were, from Jean's strength in raising her wayward son's son, to Soraya, who doesn't let racism get her down, she's just amazing!

I felt bad for Deacon, because he just doesn't have the best of luck in life and love, his dad was not the best person to be around, to grow up around, and now he has stability with his Jean-but she's older, and is acting strangely. Plus, he's on the verge of going to college, so there's a lot of change coming up in his near future.

He's shy, which delays him from asking out one girl. And then he meets Soraya, and it gets complicated. I just loved watching his navigate this period of his life, trying to work up the nerve. I just had a fun time watching him try and deal with all these situations in his life!

I had a great time reading this book, and I'd love to read more by Brian Katcher! 

Author: Brian Katcher
Read: August 12th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss/Bought
Reason Why: Sounded really great and I've enjoyed his writing, and it's a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Published: May 9th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!