Saturday, January 16, 2021

Week 2 Review: Clockwork Angel

Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still. 

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. 

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own. 

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

My first review of Clockwork Angel
My Review:
I loved rereading this book! This is only the 2nd time that I've read this book (and I can't believe I haven't reread it sooner) but I wanted to read the full world of the Shadowhunters, back to back, with the Elder Scrolls series slotting each entry in where it fits chronologically in the world. And I'm having a great time being in this world again! 

Oh, man, it was wonderful to go back to the beginning of Tessa, Will and Jem's story! There were so many moments where I know where things are going, with Will and his dark secret which is just heartbreaking. Jem and the poison he has to take to keep him alive but is killing him. And little things like ducks and demon pox! 

I forgot a few things, though I remembered others. Like I remembered who the Magister was, but I forgot about one traitor. It was better than reading a book for the first time, because I know these characters and where their story goes, but I forgot the details that really move the story! 

And I just loved that ending, though it was pretty heartbreaking. And enraging! I felt so much for Tessa, she's been thrown in this world, and she learns a  part of the reason why, but that doesn't negate all of the horrible things that have happened to her, what some people in particular did. 

This was such a great read, I enjoyed it so much, and I can't wait to continue this series! 

Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: Infernal Devices #1
First Read: February 29th, 2012
Read: January 12th, 2021
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a Historical Fiction 2021 Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book!
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Published: September 6th 2009
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!