Saturday, May 15, 2021

Week 19 Review: the Haunting of Hill House

From Goodreads:
First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a "haunting"; Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own. 

My Review:
I wasn't really planning on reading this book, but with various TBR's, this book became something that I picked up. Mainly because I really enjoyed the tv show. But this book was much different, and boy, I did not jive very well with the writing!

The version that I read had a forward written by someone else, talking about this book. Which totally confused me at first, because I thought I was getting straight into the story. So that was not the best way to kick off this book.

Man, the differences between the book and the show! The show had the family, that'd lived there, and left, and now are coming back. The book had this unknown group of people who all have the potential to see the supernatural. Which just made it less creepy, because there aren't those bonds to care about the other people that this is happening to.

The fact that the house was doing this, was so freaking creepy. It was spooky and tense, and I wanted to know how things were going to play out. It was really well written, but it's a good example of why I'm not interested in reading classics, because the writing just isn't my style. 

This was a really excellent read, it just wasn't for me! 

Author: Shirley Jackson
Read: May 12th, 2021
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Sounded really good and I enjoyed the show, and it's a Historical Fiction 2021 Book and a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Viking Press
Published: October 16th 1959
3/5 Hearts
0/5 Books
0/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!