Saturday, June 4, 2022

Week 22 Review: You'll Be the Death of Me

From Goodreads:
Ivy, Mateo, and Cal used to be close. Now all they have in common is Carlton High and the beginning of a very bad day.

Type A Ivy lost a student council election to the class clown, and now she has to face the school, humiliated. Heartthrob Mateo is burned out--he's been working two jobs since his family's business failed. And outsider Cal just got stood up.... again.

So when Cal pulls into campus late for class and runs into Ivy and Mateo, it seems like the perfect opportunity to turn a bad day around. They'll ditch and go into the city. Just the three of them, like old times. Except they've barely left the parking lot before they run out of things to say...

Until they spot another Carlton High student skipping school--and follow him to the scene of his own murder. In one chance move, their day turns from dull to deadly. And it's about to get worse.

It turns out Ivy, Mateo, and Cal still have some things in common. They all have a connection to the dead kid. And they're all hiding something.

Now they're all wondering--could it be that their chance reconnection wasn't by chance after all?

From the author of One of Us Is Lying comes a brand-new pulse-pounding thriller. It's Ferris Bueller's Day Off with murder when three old friends relive an epic ditch day, and it goes horribly--and fatally--wrong.

My Review:
I had such a great time reading this book! I've seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but to have a murder mystery version of it was such a cool read! I really enjoyed reading about these characters, finding out their secrets, and discovering what the heck was going on!

Honestly, some of the choices that were made were obvious that they were made by a teenager. That part, I'm invincible, part we'll never be believed, and choices that just made things harder for themselves. It's not their fault, they just haven't had enough life experiences to know better. 

I really enjoyed getting to know these characters as we bounced around their various perspectives, this group of 3 friends who drifted apart, and have randomly come together. I enjoyed getting their history, finding out why they drifted apart-I enjoyed getting all of those reveals!

And it was so entertaining, because as all of this was going on, they were running all over the place, trying to put the clues together, to find out why their classmate was dead. The direction that it ended up going was unexpected, and I thoroughly enjoyed that! I would've loved just to have a little bit more, because that ending? I need to know what's going to happen after that! 

This was another really fantastic mystery from Karen M. McManus, and I can't wait for the next! 

Author: Karen M. McManus 
Read: June 2nd, 2022
Source: Bought/Library
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a SAC 2022 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Published: November 30th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!