Saturday, October 15, 2022

Week 41 Review: My Eyes Are Up Here

From Goodreads:
Insightful, frank, and funny, My Eyes Are Up Here is a razor-sharp debut about a teenage girl struggling to rediscover her sense of self in the year after her body decided to change all the rules.

A "monomial" is a simple algebraic expression consisting of a single term. 30H, for example. Fifteen-year-old Greer Walsh hasn't been fazed by basic algebra since fifth grade, but for the last year, 30H has felt like an unsolvable equation - one that's made her world a very small, very lonely place. 30H is her bra size - or it was the last time anyone checked. She stopped letting people get that close to her with a tape measure a while ago.

Ever since everything changed the summer before ninth grade, Greer has felt out of control. She can't control her first impressions, the whispers that follow, or the stares that linger after. The best she can do is put on her faithful XXL sweatshirt and let her posture - and her expectations for other people - slump.

But people - strangers and friends - seem strangely determined to remind her that life is not supposed to be this way. Despite carefully avoiding physical contact and anything tighter than a puffy coat, Greer finds an unexpected community on the volleyball squad, the team that hugs between every point and wears a uniform "so tight it can squeeze out tears." And then there's Jackson Oates, newly arrived at her school and maybe actually more interested in her banter than her breasts.

Laura Zimmermann's debut is both laugh-out-loud funny and beautifully blunt, vulnerable and witty, heartbreaking and hopeful. And it will invite listeners to look carefully at a girl who just wants to be seen for all she is.

My Review:
This was such a great read! I have a bigger buxom myself, so I know what it's like to have to deal with these huge weights on your chest, but I carry extra weight everywhere, so clothing shopping is not as hard, since everything needs to be bigger, not just the chest. 

Watching Greer step out of her comfort zone, joining the volleyball team, I cheered for her. I'm not one for sports, but the team atmosphere was fantastic, and I loved how they lifted one another up, Jessa was just the absolute best! 

I have read other reviews that do mention that 30H is a common size. I have no idea about sizing, so I can't comment on that. I just know that her journey is one similar to my own, and props on her for living life with bigger breasts. 

The whole situation with Jackson's family moving, at some point, they have to say, honey, either stop going for a better opportunity, or maybe you just go on alone, and we can come visit, and vice versa. They've moved so many times, and their kids are pretty tired of it all. I wish it could've been mentioned, what was going to happen with that move. 

I had a great time listening to this book, and I can't wait to read more by Laura Zimmermann! 

Author: Laura Zimmermann
Read: October 13th, 2022
Source: Library 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a DAC Book, SAC 2022 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Published: June 23rd 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!