Saturday, November 5, 2022

Week 44 Review: Lightlark

From Goodreads:
Welcome to the Centennial.

Every 100 years, the island of Lightlark appears to host the Centennial, a deadly game that only the rulers of six realms are invited to play. The invitation is a summons—a call to embrace victory and ruin, baubles and blood. The Centennial offers the six rulers one final chance to break the curses that have plagued their realms for centuries. Each ruler has something to hide. Each realm's curse is uniquely wicked. To destroy the curses, one ruler must die.

Isla Crown is the young ruler of Wildling—a realm of temptresses cursed to kill anyone they fall in love with. They are feared and despised, and are counting on Isla to end their suffering by succeeding at the Centennial.

To survive, Isla must lie, cheat, and betray…even as love complicates everything.

My Review:
I had such a blast reading this book! The synopsis sounded intriguing, and I wanted to know more about these realms and the curses that they were under-and the lengths that they would go to, to be free of the curse. I couldn't put it down!

Before going in, I do know that there were some criticisms about this book, about how it got published and why. The book itself, it's pretty good, it just could've used a bit more polishing, some of the phrasing was weird, some things were described weirdly. But other then that, it's a pretty enjoyable story! 

With the Centennial, and the curses, the history and the magic of this world were pretty interesting. I mean, they've spent 500 years trying to break the curses, but part of that means that one of the rulers has to die (which will also kill all of their kind) I had a great time watching Isla maneuver around all of the politics, the secrets and the lies! 

There's quite a few things that are open for the next book. There's Cleo and the Moonlings, given the breaking of their island from the mainland, and the army they seem to have built, that's going to be trouble. Then there's Grim, and the memories that he took from her-that he seems to think will bring her back to him once she remembers everything. Plus there's whatever dark things that would happen without Nightshade magic. And finally, there's whatever is inside the vault. It was very cruel to end it with it opening up!  

I really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to see where the sequel goes! 

Author: Alex Aster
Series: Lightlark #1
Read: October 31st, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book!
Publisher: Recorded Books
Published: August 23rd 2022
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!