Saturday, March 25, 2023

Week 12 Review: Sadie

From Goodreads:
A missing girl on a journey of revenge. A Serial-like podcast following the clues she's left behind. And an ending you won't be able to stop talking about.

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray―a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America―overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Courtney Summers has written the breakout book of her career. Sadie is propulsive and harrowing and will keep you riveted until the last page. 

My Review:
This book, oh man, this book! I read her most recent book, I'm the Girl, which mentioned that it was a spiritual sequel to this book, so I had an idea of what I thought this book would be about, along with the synopsis. With what happened in this book, oh man, these were some difficult topics! 

Sadie has been taking care of her sister for so long, and when her sister dies, it throws her in a tailspin. That the case is mishandled, and the justice isn't found, Sadie goes looking for it. And boy, was she a good person to do that, she was tenacious and wouldn't stop until she found the bad guy.

I really enjoyed the way this story was told, we got Sadie's side of the story as she was going on this journey, and then West, narrating through podcast format, who is following her trail, trying to catch up to her, to try and help her. 

What I was most worried about, was if this book was going to have a similar ending to I'm the Girl, where the bad guy isn't taken down. And oh, that ending! Things aren't spelled out, of what happened, so it could have some positives, but most likely not, and it's heartbreaking and infuriating that this even happens at all. Children should definitely be left alone, but no one should commit violence against other person. 

I did listen to the audiobook, and it had a bonus chapter at the end, which was interesting, because it tied into I'm the Girl, what with West meeting the actor guy from that. I wish I could find it physically, so I could slow down and read it, but I loved what that chapter added! 

This was such a great read, and I'm so glad that I read it! 

Author: Courtney Summers  
Read: March 23rd, 2023
Source: Library
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2023 Book! 
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Published: September 4th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!