Saturday, March 25, 2023

Week 12 Review: Spring's Arcana

From Goodreads:
American Gods vs. Baba Yaga in this Russian-inspired contemporary fantasy Spring's Arcana, by New York Times bestseller Lilith Saintcrow.

Nat Drozdova is desperate to save a life. Doctors can do little for her cancer-ridden mother, who insists there is only one cure—and that Nat must visit a skyscraper in Manhattan to get it.

Amid a snow-locked city, inside a sleek glass-walled office, Nat makes her plea and is whisked into a terrifying new world. For the skyscraper holds a hungry winter goddess who has the power to cure her mother…if Nat finds a stolen object of great power.

Now Nat must travel with a razor-wielding assassin across an American continent brimming with terror, wonder, and hungry divinities with every reason to consume a young woman. For her ailing mother is indeed suffering no ordinary illness, and Nat Drozdova is no ordinary girl. Blood calls to blood, magic to magic, and a daughter may indeed save what she loves...

…if it doesn't consume her first.

This is the way to the Dead God's Heart.

My Review:
I had a really great time reading this book! I've only previously read her YA series, which I really loved, but it has been a while, and this is adult. But oh, it was a fantastic read, and it has me really excited to read the sequel! 

Nat doesn't know how much her life is going to change-and just how much she doesn't know-until her mom is dying, and sends her to a friend, who works in the skyscraper-for Y.A.G.A. We did know that this was Russian inspired with Baba Yaga, and I really enjoyed how it was brought to life in this book, in a very much American setting.

This world was really interesting to read about, about magic and divinity, and what the average person wants and needs and prays for. It was beautiful and magical, but there was also a good deal of danger lurking, and there were some really great scenes where Nat was really tested! 

But that ending? I need to read more, because while it wasn't a cliff hanger, not really, it feels like one. Because I need to know where the story is going to go next! I have some ideas, and there are a few things that I want to happen, and I can't wait to find out and see if they do! 

I had a really great time reading this book and I can't wait to read more! 

Author: Lilith Saintcrow
Series: Dead God's Heart #1
Read: March 18th, 2023
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Tor Books
Expected Publication: May 2nd 2023
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!