Saturday, January 13, 2024

Week 2 Review: Only Hard Problems

From Goodreads:
New York Times best-selling author Jennifer Estep continues her Galactic Bonds series with a new, action-packed novella that blends science-fiction technology and magical fantasy elements with a touch of historical romance. This rollicking space opera focuses on a fan-favorite secondary character who's part hero, part villain, and all arrogance. Perfect for fans of Star Wars, Bridgerton, and Pride and Prejudice.

PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS EVERYWHERE . . .

My name is Zane Zimmer. To most folks, I live a seemingly charmed life as a Regal lord and the heir apparent to the powerful, wealthy House Zimmer, and the gossipcasts breathlessly follow my every swaggering move across the Archipelago Galaxy. I'm also a powerful psion capable of telekinesis, telepathy, and telempathy, and my deadly skills and prowess with my stormsword have made me the golden boy of the Arrows, the Imperium's elite fighting force.

But even golden boys have bad days, and the truth is I have more hard problems than I can solve.

The Techwave is building weapons to use against the Arrows in hopes of toppling the Imperium and taking over the galaxy. But even more worrisome is the fact that my old rival Kyrion Caldaren has a powerful new ally in Vesper Quill. Together, the two of them just might destroy everything I've sworn to protect.

I'm supposed to be relaxing with the other Regals during the Summer Solstice celebration, but when an enemy threatens the festivities, I'm forced to leap into action. As an Arrow, I'll do whatever it takes to protect my family and the other Regals, even though my actions will cause only more problems—and just might end up being the death of me . . .

Note: Only Hard Problems is a 46,000-word novella from the point of view of Zane Zimmer. It takes place after Only Good Enemies, book 2 in the Galactic Bonds science-fiction fantasy series.

My Review:
I had such a great time reading this book! I love her writing so much, and I had a really great time being in Zane's head for a story, especially with what was learned in the previous book, that he and Vesper were siblings. Which caused a fair amount of concern for Zane.

Like, the fact that she's a wanted criminal, in the eyes of the (corrupt) government that he serves, that he's supposed to try and bring her in, well, that's a hard position to be in. That his grandmother and father haven't told him the truth just makes matters worse, and I loved reading his internal struggle!  

Zane on purpose pretends to be a head empty, no thoughts preening peacock. It's a pretty good disguise, that people don't notice his plotting, and while that's on purpose, and it helps him, it does mean that there really isn't anybody that knows him.

I really enjoyed his banter with Asterin, given that their families want to marry, but they despise one another. I'm pretty sure they have some great chemistry, and the events in this book brough them together, so I wouldn't count them out just yet! Plus, the attack in this book, has me excited to see what's going to happen in the future with the Techwave. 

Absolutely loved reading this book, and I can't wait for more in this series! 

Author: Jennifer Estep 
Series: Galactic Bonds #3
Read:  January 8th 2024
Source: Author for Review 
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2024 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Jennifer Estep
Expected Publication: February 20th 2024
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!