Saturday, August 1, 2020

Week 31 Review: Red Sister

From Goodreads:
I was born for killing – the gods made me to ruin.

At the Convent of Sweet Mercy young girls are raised to be killers. In a few the old bloods show, gifting talents rarely seen since the tribes beached their ships on Abeth. Sweet Mercy hones its novices' skills to deadly effect: it takes ten years to educate a Red Sister in the ways of blade and fist.

But even the mistresses of sword and shadow don't truly understand what they have purchased when Nona Grey is brought to their halls as a bloodstained child of eight, falsely accused of murder: guilty of worse.

Stolen from the shadow of the noose, Nona is sought by powerful enemies, and for good reason. Despite the security and isolation of the convent her secret and violent past will find her out. Beneath a dying sun that shines upon a crumbling empire, Nona Grey must come to terms with her demons and learn to become a deadly assassin if she is to survive…

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book. I did discover something about my reading tastes from it, and that's that I don't really like a slow build, which this book definitely has, at least in the beginning. I just wanted to get to the convent, and we were getting some flashbacks, and I just wanted to skip ahead!

The beginning was a little bit weird, a bit dense, and a bit all over the place. I was a little bit confused as to what was going on, but things started to come together the more that I read. And I just loved getting into this world with these characters! 

This world was really interesting, there were the 4 different tribes that sometimes people show they belong to, but it's rare. And then there's the politics of the world, with the Convent of Sweet Mercy training assassins and all, well, they're going to be utilized by people with political machinations, meaning that the Convent has to keep abreast of what's going on. 

One thing that I really enjoyed, was that at the start of each section of schooling for Nona, we got a prologue. One set in the future, and given that these characters have all sorts of names and titles, it was interesting to speculate who was who in the prologues. So that was fun! 

Watching Nona go on this journey, learning to be an assassin nun, was amazing. She's just a kid at the start, and we get to see her grow up, experience things that shape her, and I'm really excited to see where her story goes in the future!

I enjoyed this book so much, and I can't wait to watch Nona go on further adventures!

Author: Mark Lawrence
Series: Book of the Ancestor #1
Read: July 31st, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Ace
Published: April 4th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!