Saturday, October 3, 2020

Week 40 Review: Loveboat, Taipei

From Goodreads:
"Our cousins have done this program," Sophie whispers. "Best kept secret. Zero supervision."

And just like that, Ever Wong's summer takes an unexpected turn. Gone is Chien Tan, the strict educational program in Taiwan that Ever was expecting. In its place, she finds Loveboat: a summer-long free-for-all where hookups abound, adults turn a blind eye, snake-blood sake flows abundantly, and the nightlife runs nonstop.

But not every student is quite what they seem:

Ever is working toward becoming a doctor but nurses a secret passion for dance.

Rick Woo is the Yale-bound child prodigy bane of Ever's existence whose perfection hides a secret.

Boy-crazy, fashion-obsessed Sophie Ha turns out to have more to her than meets the eye.

And under sexy Xavier Yeh's shell is buried a shameful truth he'll never admit.

When these students' lives collide, it's guaranteed to be a summer Ever will never forget.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book! It was so fun to watch these teens break away from expectations and basically party. And they all had secrets, like the synopsis said, and I just really enjoyed watching them all interact!

I felt bad for Ever, she dreamed of dancing as a career, but given that her parents have sacrificed so much for the American Dream (though pursuing dance as a career is basically the ultimate expression of the American Dream) she felt she had to enter the field of medicine. And then she's forced on this trip. Not fun!

I loved her interactions with Rick, because she has been compared to his various achievements over the years, and found lacking. He's basically Mr. Perfect from the outside. Add that to her hopes and dreams getting crushed, well, they were so much fun to read about!

The ending really worked for me, I'm glad that it worked out that way. Though now I'm a bit confused as to where the sequel would go. I mean, it could follow a few different main characters next time, is my current thinking!

This was a really fun read and I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see where the sequel goes!

Author: Abigail Hing Wen
Series: Loveboat, Taipei #1
Read: September 26th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: January 7th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!