Saturday, January 15, 2022

Week 2 Review: Lies Like Poison

From Goodreads:
Riverdale meets Kara Thomas's The Cheerleaders in this electrifying, twisted thriller about estranged friends who reunite when someone commits the murder they'd planned—but didn't go through with—and leaves one of their own to take the fall.

Poppy, Lily, and Belladonna would do anything to protect their best friend, Raven. So when they discovered he was suffering abuse at the hands of his stepmother, they came up with a lethal plan: petals of poppy, belladonna, and lily in her evening tea so she'd never be able to hurt Raven again. But someone got cold feet, the plot faded to a secret of the past, and the group fell apart.

Three years later, on the eve of Raven's seventeenth birthday, his stepmother turns up dead. But it's only belladonna found in her tea, and it's only Belladonna who's carted off to jail. Desperate for help, Belle reaches out to her estranged friends to prove her innocence. They answer the call, but no one is prepared for what comes next.

Now, everyone has something to lose and something equally dangerous to hide. And when the tangled web of secrets and betrayal is finally unwound, what lies at its heart will change the group forever. 

My Review:
I had a really great time with this book! These characters aren't always trustworthy, have made some poor decisions, and have been through a lot, that's damaged them, but they're not broken. I really enjoyed this mystery about who killed this lady in a way that follows the plan that they made years ago!

All of these characters had secrets, were telling lies. And I really enjoyed that at each section, we had a flashback focuses on each character. I really enjoyed getting to know these characters, and find out what they were all hiding, and how it was all connected! 

Sometimes these characters would make some questionable decisions, like Jack burning Raven's clothing that she stole. That Lily filmed, and later sent to the police. It just make things more difficult, and basically were happening because they were panicking. 

Oh, that ending! I really enjoyed how it turned out, but I did feel like it was lacking details. Like, they just let him drive off, supposedly to turn himself into the police? And they don't confirm this? It's not mentioned, and I guess it ends like right after, but that just didn't really seem plausible. 

This was a really great read, and I'm glad that I read it! 

Author: Chelsea Pitcher 
Read: January 11th, 2022
Source: Library
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2022 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Published: November 10th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!