Saturday, January 15, 2022

Week 2 Review: Straight On Till Morning

From Goodreads:
What if Wendy first traveled to Neverland… with Captain Hook?

Sixteen-year-old Wendy Darling's life is not what she imagined it would be. The doldrums of an empty house after her brothers have gone to school, the dull parties where everyone thinks she talks too much, and the fact that her parents have decided to send her away to Ireland as a governess-it all makes her wish things could be different.

Wendy's only real escape is in writing down tales of Never Land. After nearly meeting her hero, Peter Pan, four years earlier, she still holds on to the childhood hope that his magical home truly exists. She also holds on to his shadow.

So when an opportunity to travel to Never Land via pirate ship presents itself, Wendy makes a deal with the devil. But Never Land isn't quite the place she imagined it would be. Unexpected dangers and strange foes pop up at every turn, and a little pixie named Tinker Bell seems less than willing to help.

But when Captain Hook reveals some rather permanent and evil plans for Never Land, it's up to the two of them to save Peter Pan-and his world.

My Review:
This was a really great read! I really love this series, and Peter Pan is one of the tales that I know the least about. I've never read the original version, and maybe seen the movie once, and that was years aga. So I had no idea what to expect from this book!

I really enjoyed Wendy, on the whole, she doesn't want what's expected of her, to either be a housewife or a spinster, and I agree, that really sucks, having those be your only options. If you had others and chose that, that's different, but only having those two is pretty awful! 

Though I really didn't agree with her decision to barter Peter's shadow to Captain Hook for passage to Neverland, well, it does kick everything off! I loved exploring Neverland with Wendy, of her learning that it wasn't all what she imagined-and what her power of storytelling is doing, and that was really great! 

Honestly, I really didn't like Peter. He was really selfish and made it all about himself, his missing shadow, that he ruled Neverland, basically. But he was what he was-a child. I understood it, but I didn't like it! 

This was a really great read and I enjoyed how it wrapped up, and I can't wait to continue this series! I'm getting closer to catching up!  

Author: Liz Brazwell
Series: Twisted Tales #8
Read: January 8th 2022
Source: Library
Reason Why: Love this series, and it's a 2022 Retelling Reading Challenge and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Disney Press/Blackstone Publishing 
Published: February 4th 2020 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!