Saturday, June 4, 2022

Week 22 Review: The Quiet You Carry

From Goodreads:
Victoria Parker knew her dad's behavior toward her was a little unusual, but she convinced herself everything was fine--until she found herself locked out of the house at 3:00 a.m., surrounded by flashing police lights. Now, dumped into a crowded, chaotic foster home, Victoria has to tiptoe around her domineering foster mother, get through senior year at a new school, and somehow salvage her college dreams . . . all while keeping her past hidden. 

But some secrets won't stay buried--especially when unwanted memories make Victoria freeze up at random moments and nightmares disrupt her sleep. Even worse, she can't stop worrying about her stepsister Sarah, left behind with her father. All she wants is to move forward, but how do you focus on the future when the past won't leave you alone?

My Review:
This was a pretty great book. Victoria's story was so compelling, I had to know which of my suspicions about her past was right. I was a bit intimidated by this book, contemporaries aren't really my thing, I've come to find, but I enjoyed reading it.

This book dealt with some very heavy topics. The title and the synopsis both give that impression, and this book fulfills it, and boy, I felt so bad for Victoria that she went through this! And the fact that she's not telling people what really happened, to protect her dad, when he's the one that did this to her...it was heartbreaking.

To make things worse, her foster home is a pretty awful place to live, where the mom seems to hate her, and there's really strict rules. And it's in a new town, so  that's a hard experience! This book can really tug on the heartstrings with all that Victoria is going through! 

The best thing about this book was the support system that Victoria built, of people who cared about her, supported her through these rough times. It was great to see some positive in all that was going wrong in her life! 

I had a really great time reading this book, and I might check out the book that Goodreads says is its sequel.

Author: Nikki Barthelmess
Read: May 28th, 2022
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2022 Book!
Publisher: Flux
Published: March 1st 2019
5/5 Hearts
1/5 Books
1/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!