Saturday, September 3, 2022

Week 35 Review: The Oathbreaker's Shadow

In the land of Darhan, promises are bound by magic, tied into knots, and worn with pride. Those who break them are physically scarred, cast out into the desert, and stalked by vengeful shadows of their treachery. Fifteen-year-old Raim, the best young fighter ever to train for the elite Yun guard, has worn a simple knot around his wrist for as long as he can remember. He doesn't know where it came from and barely thinks about it at all. But on the most important day of his life, when Raim agrees to give his life as a warrior to the future king, that knot bursts into flames and sears a dark mark into his skin. Now scarred as an oathbreaker, Raim has two options: run or die.

My Review:
I was really excited to read this book! The idea of promises bound by magic, into knots, is a pretty interesting idea. And that the people who break those promises, become oathbreakers, well, they'd be outcasts. So I had to read Raim, who didn't know his promise, and then broke it. I just knew I was going to rage at the unfairness of it all!

This world where magic is it seems mostly gone, except the power in the promises, was really interesting to learn about. The way that society has been built around it-and how people who break their promises are outcast, was an interesting concept! 

Raim was such a great character, and it really sucked that he was put into this position. That he only had one promise knot, but had no idea what it was, it's really unfair that he broke it, when he didn't even know that he was. He was strong and he was loyal, and I was rooting for him to survive! 

Watching as he did his best to survive, while wondering what his promise was, was really great. As things got more complicated, I loved watching as his goals changed, as he realized some things about this world and as events shaped up to be dealt with in the next book! 

This was a fantastic read, and I can't wait to read the sequel! 

Author: Amy McCulloch
Series: The Knot's Sequence #1 
Read: August 31st, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Flux
Published: February 8th 214 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!