Saturday, September 17, 2022

Week 37 Review: Three Mages and a Margarita

From Goodreads:
Broke, almost homeless, and recently fired. Those are my official reasons for answering a wanted ad for a skeevy-looking bartender gig.

It went downhill the moment they asked me to do a trial shift instead of an interview — to see if I'd mesh with their "special" clientele. I think that part went great. Their customers were complete dickheads, and I was an asshole right back. That's the definition of fitting in, right?

I expected to get thrown out on my ass. Instead, they… offered me the job?

It turns out this place isn't a bar. It's a guild. And the three cocky guys I drenched with a margarita during my trial? Yeah, they were mages. Either I'm exactly the kind of takes-no-shit bartender this guild needs, or there's a good reason no one else wants to work here.

So what's a broke girl to do? Take the job, of course — with a pay raise.

--
Note: The three mages are definitely sexy, but this series isn't a reverse harem. It's 100% fun, sassy, fast-paced urban fantasy.

Tori has no problem getting herself into trouble in every book in the Guild Codex series, but each one is a complete adventure—no cliffhanger endings.

My Review:
I had a really great time reading this book! I listened to it on 2 times speed, and just flew right through it! I loved these characters, they were a lot of fun to read about. And this magic, with the different types, and the government, and the guilds, was interesting, as well!

Tori is broke, and has gained a reputation as a server-which is understandable, some people can be real assholes-so when the job to be a bartender comes up, she checks it out. And while there are many complications, it's in a bad area, the customers are crappy, it pays well. But of course things are more complicated-that this is a guild, and they just assumed she had magic. Opps! 

Loved learning about this world, and how things worked. With the 5 different levels (but the acronym is not in power levels, because that word would be weird.) Then there's the guilds, and the self-policing system that they have set up, to keep magic a secret from the world. It was so interesting!  

There's a lot of potential for magic. I mean, there's a bit of flirting with Aaron, who comes from a prominent magic family and guild. But there's also sparks with Ezra, and I'm leaning towards him being end game. Just from the way things were set up, and what we know of them so far...

One of my questions for the future is, is her brother going to find out about this? He does have a conspiracy theory about magic, so I could see that happening! I think this series has finished, so I'll have to find out if this happens or not! 

This was a really great read, and I can't wait to continue! 

Author: Annette Marie 
Series: The Guild Codex: Spellbound #1
Read: September 16th, 2022
Source: Library 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Published: October 16th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!