Saturday, September 10, 2022

Week 36 Review: The Time of Contempt

From Goodreads:
The New York Times bestselling series that inspired the international hit video game: The Witcher

Geralt is a witcher: guardian of the innocent; protector of those in need; a defender, in dark times, against some of the most frightening creatures of myth and legend. His task, now, is to protect Ciri. A child of prophecy, she will have the power to change the world for good or for ill -- but only if she lives to use it.

A coup threatens the Wizard's Guild.
War breaks out across the lands.
A serious injury leaves Geralt fighting for his life...
... and Ciri, in whose hands the world's fate rests, has vanished...

The Witcher returns in this sequel to Blood of Elves.

My Review:
Oh, I needed to read this book! I'm really enjoying this world, and these characters, and I needed to read this book, both to know what was going to happen next, and to stay ahead of the tv show, so I can watch that soon, because it's what got me started on this series!

This world is so complex with the history, magic, and politics. And it just keeps getting more so as we're also introduced to more characters who have their own stories and motivations, and I'm a bit intimidated by what things are going to be like by the end of the series! 

We get to know Ciri more, which was great, because she's one of the most important characters in the series. That her gifts are improving and growing more powerful, that's a bit of a scary thought, but I loved to see the progress! But oh, there's one point where it was pretty obvious that it was a man writing about a women's experience that was just heartbreaking to read.

There were two things that I didn't like about this book. The fact that we didn't have much of Geralt, and when we did, he wasn't the self that we've been getting to know. And the second was how the ladies were written, because it was just so one dimensional and with the same, few, minimal qualities that were pretty degrading. 

Loved this installment, and I can't wait to see where things go from here! 

Author: Andrzej Sapkowski
Series: The Witcher #2
Read: September 9th, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love his writing and this series, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Orbit
Published: January 1st 1995
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!