Saturday, July 1, 2023

Week 26 Review: In the Ravenous Dark

From Goodreads:
A pansexual bloodmage reluctantly teams up with an undead spirit to start a rebellion among the living and the dead, in this dark YA fantasy by A.M. Strickland, author of Beyond the Black Door, whom Richard Kadrey calls "a storyteller of both grace and power."

In Thanopolis, those gifted with magic are assigned undead spirits to guard them—and control them. Ever since Rovan's father died trying to keep her from this fate, she's hidden her magic. But when she accidentally reveals her powers, she's bound to a spirit and thrust into a world of palace intrigue and deception.

Desperate to escape, Rovan finds herself falling for two people she can't fully trust: Lydea, a beguiling, rebellious princess; and Ivrilos, the handsome spirit with the ability to control Rovan, body and soul.

Together, they uncover a secret that will destroy Thanopolis. To save them all, Rovan will have to start a rebellion in both the mortal world and the underworld, and find a way to trust the princess and spirit battling for her heart—if she doesn't betray them first.

My first review of In the Ravenous Dark
My Review:
I had to reread this book. It's June, it's Pride month, and all of the books that have been published under the A.M. Strickland name are queer in some shape or form, and I absolutely loved reading this one the first time! So of course I had to reread it! 

I just love to hate this world. That the ones who have the bloodline magic, have to be bound to a undead spirit, yeah, that's awful. That the royal family, it's passed through the females? Even worse. That all those undead were all a part of the royal family before they died? It was an evil, awful system.

The group that Rovan ended up gathered around her was so fantastic, I loved all of their bonds, even the ones that started off on as far off from the right foot as you can get, because while some wrong choices were being made, some right feelings were being developed! 

That everything that was wrong with this world came down to the choices of one person, and everyone that he affected, yeah, some people should just not have power. It was so satisfying to watch him and his schemes be taken down! 

I adored reading this book, and I can't wait for whatever comes next! 

Author: A.M. Strickland
First Read: June 12th, 2021
Read: June 25th, 2023
Source: Own 
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a SAC 2023 Book!
Publisher: Imprint
Published: May 18th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!