Saturday, September 15, 2012

Week 37 Review: Crewel

From Goodreads:
Incapable. Awkward. Artless.

That's what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she's exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn't interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they're coming for her—tonight.

Now she has one hour to eat her mom's overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister's academy gossip and laugh at her Dad's stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything's okay. And one hour to escape.

Because once you become a Spinster, there's no turning back.

My Review:
Oh, wow, this was a really fantastic! I love how the synopsis only covers, oh, like the first two or so chapters! And then the rest of the story happens, and is just so utterly fantastic, so well written, unique, and likeable! I just really enjoyed this book!

Adelice has been hiding her gift. Because she doesn't want to be a spinster. It means leaving her family, never seeing them again. Even if it comes with the power to control the world, well, Adelice is one of the few who doesn't want to have the power. All the more to her!

I just loved the world that was in this book. Which is on more then one level, but I'm not going to say how because this hasn't come out yet! The details were unique, and I loved how the powers worked, and how the Spinsters work! It was awesome!

So between the love triangle, and the bad guys, the ending was just a lot of things happening all at once, and coming together, and then just ending, in a cruel, cruel manner, that was such a cliffhanger! But I loved it! And I can't wait to read more!

This was a really fantastic book, and I'm so glad that it's a series, because I want more time here!

Author: Gennifer Albin
Series: Crewel World #1
Read: September 8th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded like an excellent book, and it's a DAC book and a 2012 Dystopian book!
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Expected Publication: October 16th 2012
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!