Saturday, August 8, 2020

Week 32 Review: The New Improved Sorceress

From Goodreads:
The second book in this contemporary fantasy series returns to the life of Tessa Andrews as she balances the magical and mundane worlds.

Tessa didn't believe in magic, but magic believed in her, and that started a fight for her life.

An ancient artifact known as a maelstrom stone has embedded itself in her left palm. It thrives on chaos, which describes her new life perfectly. She battles to find a balance between the ordinary world and the magical one, all while freeing her father from his ghostly state, helping a phoenix wizard restore his rejuvenation ritual, and retrieving the stolen Eye of Nimora for the Broadstone clan. Tessa must also help her mother navigate the rocky road of academia and single motherhood finances, fall in love herself, and steer her college teammates to a divisional championship. She needs friends, both ordinary and magical, by her side.

Then a strange and forbidding book of the Dark Arts strikes her with actual power...and Tessa realizes more than ever that there is no I in team--unless it's the one in new, improved sorceress.

My Review:
It was really great to read this book! I really enjoyed the first one, these characters are interesting, and I really enjoy this world! The writing is a little dense, which makes reading a bit slow, which means you have to be cautious of your mood, if you're into a fast-paced book, even though this book is pretty quick, well, it reads slow, so read it when you're in that kind of mood!

I really enjoyed diving more into this world with Tessa. She has the stone in her hand, which is causing a few interesting developments. There's her need to free her dad, to square up the professor, and now a quest to find a missing artifact. So that was a heavy load of work to do!

Yeah, there was a lot going on, and I really enjoyed the various developments, including the relationship ones. Oh, and one of her birthday gifts, that was fantastic, and I can't wait to see how that will all play out! I had such a great time reading it! 

Oh, wow, that ending! There's so many question marks, and man, it was just an evil, killer cliffhanger ending! I mean, there's what happens just as it ends, but also lingering questions about the fate of some of the other characters, and I just want to know!

This was a really great book, and I can't wait for book 3!

Author: Sara Hanover
Series: Wayward Mages #2
Read: August 1st, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, I enjoyed the first book, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book!
Publisher: DAW
Published: January 14th 2020
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!