Saturday, October 3, 2020

Week 40 Review: A Dance With Fate

From Goodreads:
A young woman who is both a bard--and a warrior--seeks to repay her debts and settle scores in this thrilling historical fantasy series.

The young warrior and bard Liobhan has lost her brother to the Otherworld. Even more determined to gain a place as an elite fighter, she returns to Swan Island to continue her training. But Liobhan is devastated when her comrade Dau is injured and loses his sight in their final display bout. Blamed by Dau's family for the accident, she agrees to go to Dau's home as a bond servant for the span of one year.

There, she soon learns that Oakhill is a place of dark secrets. The vicious Crow Folk still threaten both worlds. And Dau, battling the demon of despair, is not an easy man to help.

When Liobhan and Dau start to expose the rot at the center of Oakhill, they place themselves in deadly danger. For their enemy wields great power and will stop at nothing to get his way. It will take all the skills of a Swan Island warrior and a touch of the uncanny to give them a hope of survival. . . .

My Review:
Yes, wow, this book was so fantastic to read! I just love this world that Juliet Marillier has created with these 2 series, and I loved spending more time with these characters! I couldn't wait to see where the journey would take them, after that ending of the first book!

The whole idea that Liobhan would be a bond servant to Dau's family for a year, yeah, that enraged me. After all, it was an accident, and oh, yeah, he doesn't have a good relationship with his family. But we did get to see why, first hand! 

While Liobhan's bond servant status really ticked me off at Dau's family, well, Dau's situation, man, it was pretty hard to read. He had a pretty big character arc in the first book, and again in this one, dealing with being blind, as well as being home, from where he'd run away from. So he has a lot of struggles with that which made for excellent reading. But at least they were together! Loved their relationship, and where it's developing towards! 

Again, we were in Liobhan, Dau, and Brocc's heads, mainly. The main storyline was Liobhan and Dau in Oakhill, but Brocc's story was interesting to read, as well. And I'm really excited to see where it goes in the future, because that situation, is one that I personally find pretty daunting! But overall, that ending was pretty satisfying, if faced with loss, and I really enjoyed it! 

This was such a great read, and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Author: Juliet Marillier
Series: Warrior Bard #2
Read: September 27th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Love her writing and the first book, and it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Ace Books
Published: September 1st 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!