Saturday, March 13, 2021

Week 10 Review: The Cabin

From Goodreads:
There may only be one killer, but no one is innocent in this new young adult thriller from Natasha Preston, author of The Cellar, a New York Times Bestseller, and Awake

They think they're invincible.
They think they can do and say whatever they want.
They think there are no consequences.
They've left me no choice.
It's time for them to pay for their sins.

A weekend partying at a remote cabin is just what Mackenzie needs. She can't wait to let loose with her friends. But a crazy night of fun leaves two of them dead-murdered. 
With no signs of a forced entry or struggle, suspicion turns to the five survivors. Someone isn't telling the truth. And Mackenzie's first mistake? Assuming the killing is over...

My Review:
I enjoyed this book. But it was a bit young, and there were some parts where there was a random time jump, with really no indication that it had happened on the page, like a paragraph break or anything. And that was a little confusing. Plus I wish there were a few more transition scenes, because suddenly the characters would be in a random place, and it just caused me more confusion.

I really felt for Mackenzie, because first two of her friends die in an accident, and now, one and her boyfriend, have been murdered, and her remaining friends (and her love interest) are the main suspects in their murder. So that's difficult, even coming to the conclusion that one of her friends is a murderer. But as the book goes on, she does learn of secrets from all of her friends, giving all of them potential motives, which upped the stakes.

I know I'm putting on complaint after complaint. But I do read so much, that only putting what I enjoyed makes it harder to write reviews, I run out of things to say. On that note, I found Mackenzie and Blake's relationship to be on the middle end of YA, they act their ages and immature, and make some not so great decisions, and that's pretty true to life. It's just not quite as entertaining to read, though.

That ending, I'm conflicted. On one hand, I liked how much of a twist it was. On the other, it was a bit disjointed, and short, and it didn't quite make sense as a reveal, the reasoning. Plus that last, last line, it's not the right thing to do, they were panicking, and I wish that they'd do differently. 

I did enjoy this book, but it's not one that I feel like I need to reread. 

Author: Natasha Preston
Read: March 6th, 2021
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: It sounded good and it's a A-Z Reading Challenge Book and a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: September 6th 2016
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!