Saturday, March 20, 2021

Week 11 Review: The Diviners

From Goodreads:
Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It's 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he'll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.

My Review:
Oh man, this book! I tried reading it a little while ago, and just couldn't get into it. But since I've really enjoyed her other books, I gave it another go, and I got invested, and oh, once I was, I had such a great time reading this book!

This world with the Diviners, with these supernatural abilities, was really intriguing. Adding in the murder mystery, and all these different perspectives to follow, there was a lot going on in this book, and I just had to know what was going on! 

Watching them start to unravel the mysteries surrounding this death was so entertaining! They were also learning more about what they could do, about each other, and catching some feelings that were ever so lovely to read about! Which was great, because this time period was not a great time to be young, hence the party atmosphere, to avoid thinking about the future. 

The things that were set up in this book, it'll be interesting to see where they go in the future. We've started to get to know these characters (though there are some things that I'm pretty sure we'll find out in the future) and I can't wait to go on those adventures with them! 

This was a really wonderful read, and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Author: Libba Bray
Series: The Diviners #1 
Read: March 18th, 2021
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really good, and it's a Historical Fiction 2021 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book, RR Book, and a WTC Book! 
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: September 18th 2012
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I got this book for Christmas, but I haven’t read it yet. I’m looking forward to it!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a really great time reading it, and I hope that when you read it, you enjoy it as well! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

      Delete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!