Saturday, April 17, 2021

Week 15 Review: Inland

From Goodreads:
The psychological labyrinth of a young woman's insidious connection to the sea, from the Edgar Award nominated author of Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone.
 
Callie Morgan has long lived choked by the failure of her own lungs, the result of an elusive pulmonary illness that has plagued her since childhood. A childhood marked early by the drowning death of her mother—a death to which Callie was the sole witness. Her father has moved them inland, away from the memories of the California coast her mother loved so much and toward promises of recovery—and the escape of denial—in arid, landlocked air.
 
But after years of running away, the promise of a life-changing job for her father brings Callie and him back to the coast, to Florida, where Callie's symptoms miraculously disappear. For once, life seems delightfully normal. But the ocean's edge offers more than healing air … it holds a magnetic pull, drawing Callie closer and closer to the chilly, watery embrace that claimed her mother. Returned to the ocean, Callie comes of age and comes into a family destiny that holds generations of secrets and very few happy endings.

My Review:
This was such a fantastic read! We know something is up right from the beginning, when we're in her mom's perspective. And I just wanted to know what the heck was going on. And then we get Callie, away from the ocean, having a hard time breathing and doctors are unable to determine why.

I was really frustrated with her dad. I mean, sure, he didn't know about the deal that Callie's mom had made, but he still broke a promise he made to her. He might not have known that taking her away from the sea  would cause her condition, but I just didn't like him! 

The most exciting part for me about this book was the "psychological labyrinth" mentioned in the synopsis. I was really excited to see how that was going to play out in this book. And as we watched Callie uncover more and more questions, I just wanted to know the answers! 

That ending though? I wish it'd been explained just a little bit more. I don't get how we got from point A to point B. I read on the internet that people think she ended it that way so we the readers could determine for ourselves whether or not we thought that Callie was telling the truth about what was happening, or making it up. 

This was a really enjoyable read, and I'm glad that I picked it up !

Author: Kat Rosenfield
Read: April 10th, 2021
Source: Own 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Physical Book to Read in 2021 and a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Published: June 12th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!