Saturday, April 24, 2021

Week 16 Reviews: The Testing Guide, The Testing


From Goodreads:
It's an honor to be chosen for The Testing. But it's not enough to pass The Testing. Cia will have to survive it.

The Testing Guide is the short story prequel to The Testing, the first novel in the stunning and epic Testing Trilogy.

From Goodreads:
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Isn't that what they say? But how close is too close when they may be one in the same? 

The Seven Stages War left much of the planet a charred wasteland. The future belongs to the next generation's chosen few who must rebuild it. But to enter this elite group, candidates must first pass The Testing—their one chance at a college education and a rewarding career. 

Cia Vale is honored to be chosen as a Testing candidate; eager to prove her worthiness as a University student and future leader of the United Commonwealth. But on the eve of her departure, her father's advice hints at a darker side to her upcoming studies--trust no one. 

But surely she can trust Tomas, her handsome childhood friend who offers an alliance? Tomas, who seems to care more about her with the passing of every grueling (and deadly) day of the Testing. To survive, Cia must choose: love without truth or life without trust.

My first review of 
The Testing GuideThe Testing
My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these stories again! I loved reading them the first time, but I never continued, so I had to reread them before I can continue on with the series! And I'm really glad that I did, it means that the details will be fresh in my mind!

I remembered the whole thing with The Testing Guide, that it was about Cia's oldest brother, and his attempt to be chosen for The Testing, and that it ended with Cia starting to study. And knowing what I know about the Testing, he's lucky to avoid it.

These kids have to be very clever, but they also have to be a bit ruthless. The Testing, oh, man, it was a cruel thing, putting these kids through such harsh measures. And the rules, what it allowed various students to do to one another? Brutal.

Loved her and Tomas, and when the final part of the test came around, I loved watching them work together to survive, and cross the finish line. To watch them navigate the devastated landscape, always on the alert for danger, it was easy to bond over that experience! 

These were really great reads, and I can't wait to continue! 

Author: Joelle Charbonneau
Series: The Testing #0.5, 1
First Read: August 7th, 7th, 2014
Read: April 21st, 21st, 2021
Source: Online, Own
Reason Why: Rereading, and they're 2021 Dystopia Challenge Books and Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Books!
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Published: April 1st 2013, June 4th 2013

The Testing Guide:
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars










The Testing:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!