Saturday, April 24, 2021

Week 16 Reviews: Oasis, Claimed, Midnight at Mart's, Windfall



From Goodreads:
A free Weather Warden short story

A free Weather Warden short story

A free Weather Warden short story

Less than a year ago, Joanne Baldwin was an agent for one of the most powerful organizations in the world, entrusted with the safety of millions of lives on a daily basis. Now she's a scantily clad "weather girl" for a Ft. Lauderdale television station.

After losing her job as a Weather Warden (those with the ability to manipulate the weather and avowed to protect humankind), Joanne is finding life in the "real world" not as enticing as she once thought. Her job as a cheesecake weather girl is humiliating, especially with a lecherous head meteorologist (deliciously named Marvelous Marvin McLarty) who delights in devising new ways to embarrass her on camera. But with her supernatural Djinn lover slowly dying and a recently divorced, shopping-addicted sister camping out on her sofa, Joanne's problems couldn't possibly get worse -- or could they? Throw in a highly suspicious detective bent on arresting Joanne on murder charges, a Djinn civil war, and a monster of an approaching hurricane --and suddenly Marvelous Marvin's antics don't seem so bad!

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these stories! I wish that I'd read the short stories in order, but I forgot that they existed, so I'm glad that I at least remembered them again and actually read them! And then to read Windfall, boy, was that a sucker punch of a book!

The short stories were of the time when they were racing to Las Vegas and some of the bumps along the road, like tiredness, Jonathan, and memories of how David ended up claimed by Bad Bob (but not the story.) And then Midnight at Mart's, of after she's quit, and it was great to watch her deal with this situation all by herself, though it sucks that she had to do it in the first place! 

And then Windfall, oh, what an amazing read! I felt so badly for Joanne, that she was working this pretty derogating job. And of curse, there's David's power loss, and how that was not going so well. This book has a lot going on, and not a lot of hope for good! 

For this book, I think my favourite part is split between the interludes (no flashbacks this book, at least not from Joanne!) which told the story of a storm, but the when we found out who the narrator was? Wow! Plus there was a a little tidbit that I can't wait to learn more about! And the other half was watching Joanne deal with her sister! 

But man, that ending? That was just amazing, it was hard to watch her deal with so much, and to have so many of the odds against her! And I can't wait to see how everything is going to play out in the next book! 

These were all so great to read, and I had a really fantastic time, and of course, I need to continue the series! 
 
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: Weather Wardens 2.5, 2.6, 3.25, 4 
Read: April 18th, 18th, 18th, 18th, 2021
Source: Online, Ebook.bike 
Reason Why:  Love her writing and this series, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Books! 
Publisher: Rachel Caine, Roc
Published: 2013, November 1st 2005

Oasis: 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Claimed:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars
 








Midnight at Mart's: 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Windfall:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!